Diving knife - Weapon or not??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Obviously, the primary function of a dive knife is to inspire heated discussions about the purpose of dives knives, whether or not they are weapons, how big they should be, how many you need, what color is appropriate, and whether or not you will die because you are carrying or not carrying one.

Awww... come on everybody. Any basic trainee knows that the only knife really designed as a weapon is a bayonet. Remember such touching shouts as "Sergeant: the red, red blood makes the grass grow green!" and "what is the spirit of the bayonet? to KILL, to KILL, and TO KILL WITHOUT MERCY". If you're diving with a bayonet and a rifle - you have a weapon... otherwise you have a tool. One of the things I never could get my head around was "if you bayonet the enemy and your bayonet is stuck (like in their sternum), squeeze off a round and let the kick of the rifle help you remove the bayonet." This is totally illogical! If you had a round in the weapon, why in the name of God would you bayonet somebody???

Of course, that was in 1968, and things may have changed since then :wink:

The last resort is Cold Steel JABBED between the second and third ribs and TWIST, Hoo-ah!!!

Of course, that was vintage 1984-1985.

Anyway, weapons, tools, whatever. A knife is just a knife. It's what a human decides to do with it that makes it a tool or a weapon. BTW, a weapon is a tool - a tool designed to cause damage to living beings.

And apropos of nothing, I can do plenty of damage to a human skull or throat with a rock scallop prybar.

Hi everyone. I know I am pretty new to this diving lark and I have been reading this thread with great interest. I know I will be purchasing a knife at some point as I for one dont want to end up in a fish net. The only other thought that keeps popping into my head for some obscure reason is that knives are tools untill sombody can invent a chain saw that works underwater :)

I've owned only 2 or 3 dive knives so far, over 20+ years of sporadic diving. Every time I bought a new knife, I bought one smaller (and more useful) than the ones I already had.

Now, I'm thinking about dumping the most recent BC knife in favor of a line cutter. In all those years I had never used a knife underwater until a few months ago when I got caught in some mono at about 20' on a beach dive near a jetty. Cutting our of that was a royal pain, most as I tried to avoid stabbing myself while cutting the line.

On the other hand, this is a really cool tool :) Becker Knife & Tool Tac Tool plus FREE SHIPPING,Becker Knives,Becker Knife

:D I have talked to alot of divers that tell me that a "dive knife" is not a weapon. But from what i know about knives (which is alot) is that they were designed souly to kill. Yes of course they can be used as other tools, but their main purpose is to protect ones self.Yes, there are knives but that have blunt tips, but do those really count as real knives? To me there are more like just blades without a point or a prying device with a sharp edge on it. what are your opinions on the knives divers carry? Are they a weapon to make you feel safer in the new environment your in? or are they a multi tool used for whatever your heart desires?

Evil

This person needs counselling. :no:

A dive knife is a tool. A Swiss Army Knife is a tool. My Boker Plus combat knife, designed with killing people as it's first job, is a tool.

That's right, I have carried the same tactical folder for going on 3 years now and the only blood it has spilt is my own when I've *****ed up. Other than that, it opens MREs, care packages, parts boxes, and packing crates with regularity. That's it.

Now having said that, if the wrong situation comes along, I will not be hesitant at all to use my knife as a weapon. But I highly doubt that my little 3" blade Wenoka dive knife will ever do anything more than irritate Jaws.

Peace,
Greg

I have knife similar to this ( found in the see ) - very nice knife because you can put it on the finger through hole

ef_1_b.JPG

on the ebay :

Herbertz Messer - Segel messer , retungs messer (sailing knife, rescue knife )

Point of knife may be cut away to prevent cut yourself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom