Diving knife - Weapon or not??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The BFKs do have their purpose. When you see somebody wearing one, it helps you more easily identify that as a diver to avoid. Kind of a "dullard alarm".

Think about it like this: either your knife is a tool, or you are. :D

___

I disagree with this as a blanket statement. Is it mostly true? Probably. Can I agree with the concept? Mostly; but I dive with a military knife, the Navy issue Mk3. Not because I went out looking for the biggest, baddest knife I could find, but because I had it sitting around. I went through a couple of knives and was looking for a replacement and had it litterally collecting dust in the garage, so I took it on a dive... and then it went on another dive, and 5 years later, it's still going on dives. It's lasted longer than any of the non-titanium knives I've seen friends use. The best part is that it cost me about $10 at a surplus store when I was a kid. The only cheaper diving knives I've found are the ones that I've litterally found while diving (3 last year alone!). I like the fact that it has a sturdy sheath which doesn't rely on any springs or clips to keep the knife firmly secured, and it was inexpensive.

The best thing about it is that I've never had to use my dive knife for anything while diving! Occasionally I will use it to bridge the metal contacts for programming my dive computer before I dive, but I use the hilt and the knife stays in the sheath.

As to the question on the thread: A dive knife is a tool for cutting. If you need a weapon where you dive, there are plenty of really good weapons, which are more effective than a knife. Spears, spear guns, bang sticks, etc... You can get the Glock pistol with the maritime parts to allow it to fire underwater if you think you are going into combat or pirates might board your boat while you are diving. Heck, if you really need it, I'm sure that the SEALs could tell you how to waterproof machineguns, bazookas and rocket launchers. But the dive knife is a cutting tool.

Dive safe!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom