Diving Lake Mead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSteve1962

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What the diving like in Lake Mead in March. I've read some that say it's dry-suit only. But the web site says 3 to 5 mil would be OK?

Thanks in advance.

Okay getting closer to March and I will also be coming to Vegas for a "business" trip. I'm thinking that a dip in lake mead would be in order if I can sneak away for a day or so. What dive ops are in the area and how much gear should I plan on risking in the ramp rats sticky paws? I've been lucky with dive gear in checked baggage before but I always worry.

I have called some of the shops that I can find...... no answer, no call back... :( Is Lake Mead like some big super secret private club destination??? If I learn the secret knock or hand shake I'll risk my well being to post it here!!

actually found someone to talk to BUT.... they are closed today. Call back tomorrow.

It's been years but have you tried Jerry at American Cactus Divers.

Most people from here dive somewhere else though. It's a day drive to SoCal or Guaymas from here - I believe Vegas is similar. We've lost about 3-4 LDS's this year due to lack of business - they probably have also. May explain why no one is calling you back. Phoenix and Vegas are two of the worst hit areas in the housing/foreclosure crisis.

I don't know what the status of the lake is currently. At few years ago the drought was so bad you could practically walk to some of the shallower dive sites. It was actually almost 100' down from the high water mark. We did have a few good snows here last year so it may be better now. It partly depends on where the water management folks are keeping the water. Usually it's Lake Powell with releases to Mead and farther downstream.

If you don't mind driving a little farther Lake Mohave is probably better diving. From http://www.lakemohavescuba.com/index.html

Current Dive Conditions:

Lake Mohave, AZ - 55°F with 60 ft. Visibility
Lake Mead, NV - 52°F with 20 ft. Visibility

Last edited:
Reactions: Jax
I'm glad I checked out these posts. We are planning on being in Vegas next week and wanting to do a dive or two. It least now I'll have an idea of why we may not get to dive. I'm hoping to we can, though.

Let us know what you find there if anything.

I am interested as well , let us know what you find . I am going out for a conference in June - hoping to get at least one day of diving in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom