Diving Light recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello KevinNM ,
one more clarification please ,so that means I am supposed to dive with 3 lights .. primary is goodman handle , backup light attached to chest d-ring , reserve light is another light mounted on the other -chest D-ring ? or it refers to the backup light which means all in all 2 lights to hold ?

Depends on which training you're going for. If you're aiming for a recreational pass (essentially single tank) in GUE Fundamentals, the only light you're required to have is one battery powered backup light on your right chest d-ring. If you're going for a technical pass (essentially in doubles) in GUE Fundamentals, you have to also have a rechargable primary light on a goodman handle, plus another battery powered backup light on your left chest d-ring.

So, 1 back-up light required if you're going for a recreational pass.
1 primary plus 2 back-up lights if you're going for a technical pass.

You're definitely going to get a tighter beam with the 21w HID. But it certainly comes with a higher price tag, which wasn't worth it to me at the time (still isn't, but that may change some day depending upon where my diving take me). I also like having a light which is basically indestructible.

Here's a nice video (not mine) demonstrating the difference (start at ~1:23 for primary light comparison):

(The 3100 is a bit brighter than the light shown, but the spot is still a little less visible than the HID.)

Still a great choice though, IMHO.

And as for the button, this is fine. Twist on is a good idea for backup lights.

Last edited:
thanks a lot everyone for trying to help , I took the decision to get the Big Blue TL3100P with goodman handle + Big Blue AL1200 NP Light as a backup..

in the future if I decided to go serious with GUE , I will think of getting the Halcyon Canister and keep the old torches as a backup :).

I just got an Ano CL2300X canister light after TBone's recommendation. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but the construction is solid and the head is a lot smaller than an HID since it's LED. 6hr burntime on high is the rated amount, though it will probably be a bit less.

I'll post again (hopefully with some video) after I've done a side-by-side and some diving with it.

Looking for replacement bulb for a
UK Light Cannon 100 Professional HID
Can anyone help a brother out?

I just got an Ano CL2300X canister light after TBone's recommendation. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but the construction is solid and the head is a lot smaller than an HID since it's LED. 6hr burntime on high is the rated amount, though it will probably be a bit less.

I'll post again (hopefully with some video) after I've done a side-by-side and some diving with it.
i was considering that as well while choosing which one i need to buy , but i decided to stay away from canister light for now , till i have better control and become very comfortable with all the new main gears I am getting (bcd/dry suit/GUE equipment config ... etc).

for the price and the quality I believe it is very nice to have.
thanks for sharing your thoughts with us :).

If you want a good canister light, then get the Halcyon Focus. The variable focus makes it very versatile. It has a tighter beam than my Light Monkey HID35. If my HID is brighter, it is not by much. As far as backup lights, I use DGX800 lights, although I do have a Light Monkey 3W LED. I like having rechargeable batteries instead of buying a litany of C cells.

The Big Blue light that sea_otter uses does have a powerful beam. Not as tight as the HIDs but I did not have a problem seeing the beam, even in poor visibility. Honestly, with the current advancement in light and battery technology, I foresee the canisters fading away in the near future.

O.

Last edited:
If you want a good canister light, then get the Halcyon Focus. The variable focus makes it very versatile. It has a tighter beam than my Light Monkey HID35. If my HID is brighter, it is not by much. As far as backup lights, I use DGX800 lights, although I do have a Light Monkey 3W LED. I like having rechargeable batteries instead of buying a litany of C cells.

The Big Blue light that sea_otter uses does have a powerful beam. Not as tight as the HIDs but I did not have a problem seeing the beam, even in poor visibility. Honestly, with the current advancement in light and battery technology, I foresee the canisters fading away in the near future.

O.

your HID is quite a bit brighter unless it has a very old bulb. The Halcyon Focus is only capable of putting out a bit more light than a fresh 10w HID. It will be a bit misleading because of the beam pattern, but as far as total light output is concerned, the 35w HID puts out significantly more light.
Beam Comparison
your Focus puts out somewhere between the Light Monkey 12w -500 lumen, and the Light Monkey 15-1500 lumen. The Focus is just under halfway. In this comparison the HID's were all with fresh bulbs as their light output drops considerably with age.

Your DGX800 puts out the same light output as your Focus btw though it may not appear so because of the beam angle.

The Big Blue's are problematic because they are not capable of the actual lumen output that they claim, typically around 75% of their claimed output, but more importantly, they drop to about 30% of their claimed output after about 30 minutes. When buying one of their lights, just divide the lumens by 3 and you'll have a better picture of what it will actually do.

Back
Top Bottom