Diving Malpelo - questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi guys, thanks for all your help with this.
I have booked to go on the Yemaya from 06-16 of Jan.
Before that will do a bit of easy, fun diving in Bocas, where I did my rescue diver last year.
Will post a report when I get back!

Hi guys:

Thanks you all for the very valuable information about diving in Malpelo. I intend to go there next year and I would appreciate if you can validate my conclusions after reading your posts:

1. Inula is the only boat leaving from Panama and it takes it 32 hours to reach Malpelo (and I assume another 32 to get back).

2. Arvid is the skipper at the Inula and he is the most experienced person on Malpelo diving conditions.

3. The Yemaya, Nemo and Sea Wold are new players and all depart from Colombia (which port?) and thus the trip takes around 20 hours.

4. Which are the best months as far as diving and sea conditions (I understand these two factors very seldom coincide).

5. Can any of you provide me with rates for these boats?

Thanks in advance

Hello Arturo,

Inula is not the only boat departing from Panama, 32h right, about Arvid i would say you are absolutely right, Yemaya also departs from Panama.
Sea Wolf and nemo from Colombia.
Best months: depends on what you want to see, the Monstershark or Whalesharks.
Rates of Inula are on the Webside, Seawolf could be the cheapest.
Hope this helps

Max

Max:

Thanks for the quick answer.

Say I want to see monster sharkes (assume you refer to big hammerheads): what months should we go?

And if we want to see the whale shark? Which ones are the best months?

As per water temperatures, what should we expect in these periods?

Thanks in advance

Arturo

Hi Arturo,
I was the OP on this thread and have done a bit of research on the topic.
As only one boat is allowed at Malpelo at a time, you may be restricted by choice according to your available vacation dates.
You can read more about the Yemaya at Scuba Diving Vacation | Coiba Scuba Diving Vacations - The Perfect Dive Holiday, however you can also book the trip through various other agents.
I am going in Jan and got a good price from puracolombia.com
For trips with the Yemaya you meet in and return to Panama City.
Best wishes

Hello Arturo,

you can see the odontaspis ferox in the time from dec to april usually this is the time when you can find him around 40m. But conditions in this time can be very rough and the water cold. Hammerheads you have always. For whalesharks the best months are august and september. water temp around 26° but may be too warm to see the whole big bunch of hammerheads.

See ya
Max

Hi Arturo - just a quick note that you can check availability for all four Malpelo boats on our website DIVE ADVICE TRAVEL - Welcome to Dive Advice Travel and shortly we will have full details and images of all Malpelo boats.
Max is right that there are 2 boats operating from Panama and 2 from Colombia. Basically they all operate year round and only one vessel is permitted to be there at any one time. In my opinion the best months are Jan/Feb and Jun thru Sep. Weather can be variable at any time and water temps can be as high as 26C on the surface, but the thermoclines move up and down and those can drop the temp by as much as 10 degrees or more ! You can even get two thermoclines where the 2nd can be deep and plunge the water temp as low as 12C - pretty cool ! So 5mm and layers is what you need for Malpelo. I am a wholesale agent and put together charters and individuals on these boats so if you need any help with dates or booking something - don't hesitate to drop me a note - dom@diveadvice.com.
By the way, there is now just one space left on Yemaya for Jan 7-16, but they have spaces for departures in March + May. Seawolf has spaces March, August, Oct + December. For Nemo we need a minimum 6 pax to start a trip.

Thank you all guys for the quick and valuable info provided. Let me read and digest it with my mates here in Caracas. I´ll get in contact again once me make up our minds.

Regards,

Arturo

Just a quick thanks once more Dom for the terrific time we had in Malpelo, I came away with a lot of experience. It was a hell of a deal you gave us and you were a great source of information about the area. It would have been nice to see more then 10' of whaleshark tail :rofl3:

FB
I just about became a stat when I was in Malpelo, the current can rip. If you ever get separated just surface and get your sausage and your Alert out. :D

Hi Guys
Am thinking of visiting malpelo in 2012 and would love to hear of your trip with the Inula!
PY

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom