Diving Malpelo - questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi all!

I have had a few people asking me for a trip report - which I had promised. I didnt write one, because although I did go to Malpelo, I was sick most of the time on board with sinusitis and bronchitis and could only do 3 dives. So it was an extremely disappointing trip from that perspective!! However - at least I could do 3 dives - so better than nothing - and those dives were fantastic. So decided to let you know my thoughts...

I went on the Yemaya from Coiba Dive Expeditions, which goes from Panama rather than Columbia. There was a day of diving in Coiba, to sort out weights etc before heading out on the 30 hour crossing. I booked through Arthur at puracolombia.com.

Yemaya was a great boat. The rooms (and beds) were quite small, however, the beds were extremely comfortable with really thick mattresses. There was plenty of room on board with a bar area, dining area, sun deck, indoor lounge and a separate dive deck. Yemaya has 2 great skiffs (rather than Zodiacs) which are great for diving from. The crew was really friendly and helpful. The food was varied and very tasty.

I saw the Sea Wolf at Malpelo - it was leaving as we arrived. Only 1 boat is allowed there each week. The Sea Wolf looked much smaller than Yemaya and the diving was from Zodiacs, which may be less easy for some people.

I rented some of my gear from Coiba Dive Expeditions, as I was doing some other traveling and didnt have so much luggage space. The wet suit and BCD were of a very good quality. It is important to bring your own safety gear - especially SMB, whistle etc.

The water temperature at the bottom was around 20°c. I was fine with a 5mm and gloves - I didnt wear a hood but some people did. The weather wasnt great that week, so gear took longer to dry - so you may wish to quite a few bathing suits / rash vests etc.

Everyone on our trip was diving with Nitrox. It makes much more sense than air, for extended bottom times, shorter surface intervals and extended further dives. Almost everyone on our trip was a very experienced diver - with some people having over 5.000 dives. With around 100 dives, I was definitely one of the least experienced.

The diving at Malpelo was great (even the 3 dives I did!). We did 3 dives a day - no night dives. Some dives you stay in one place, holding on and watching everything pass by. Some dives were swimming along the walls etc. The currents can be very strong, so you really need gloves to hold onto the rocks. You also have to really take care of the safety instructions given to you by the crew. For someone with no experience diving in strong currents, it would be wise to read up on how to conserve energy, avoid accidents etc.

We saw lots of schooling hammerheads and huge schools of fish, schools of eagle rays, many many free swimming morays etc. It was really exciting diving, with plenty going on. I loved the huge schools of barracuda - and the eery looking hammer heads of course.

Nobody really goes onto the island itself... it really is just a big rock in the middle of nowhere - so you wont see much above water nature. However it is an extremely imposing sight.

I have attached some images here and hope they give you a small impression about the trip.

I loved what I saw and would definitely recommend diving with the Yemaya team.

Hope you have fun if you go!
Safe Diving!

Attachments

• DSC05907.jpg
    DSC05907.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 115
  • DSC05911.jpg
    DSC05911.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC06112.jpg
    DSC06112.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_2157.jpg
    IMG_2157.jpg
    405.5 KB · Views: 109
  • DSC06321.jpg
    DSC06321.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_2178.jpg
    IMG_2178.jpg
    388.7 KB · Views: 119
  • P1060086.jpg
    P1060086.jpg
    371.3 KB · Views: 104
  • P1090319.jpg
    P1090319.jpg
    345.1 KB · Views: 126
  • P1110252.jpg
    P1110252.jpg
    394.5 KB · Views: 99
  • P1120283.jpg
    P1120283.jpg
    428.8 KB · Views: 119
  • P1130025.jpg
    P1130025.jpg
    411.3 KB · Views: 99
  • P1140991.jpg
    P1140991.jpg
    325.7 KB · Views: 101
Hey,

I was following your thread since the begining. Really fell sorry about you being sick most of the time. I'm going to malpelo in the end of July. Did the other people see manta rays or whale sharks? I'm going in my drysuit, do you think that's too much for the water there? Thanks for the report!

No dry suit, water temp should be around 25° may a thermo cline in about 30-35m, 7mm with hood is absolutely enough.
Max

Heh Felipe,
unfortunately nobody saw mantas or whale sharks whilst we were there - but it may have been the wrong time for that. I would suggest you to contact the owner of the boat you are going on and ask them if you are going in the right season for whale sharks.

I really dont think you will need a dry suit, its not that cold and July should be warmer than January - I was fine with a 5mm.

I have added some more pictures to give you a bit more idea about life under The Rock!
Have a great trip!

Attachments

• DSC05955.jpg
    DSC05955.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC06032.jpg
    DSC06032.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 125
  • DSC06304.jpg
    DSC06304.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_2165.jpg
    IMG_2165.jpg
    391.5 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_2193.jpg
    IMG_2193.jpg
    438.3 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_2200-2.jpg
    IMG_2200-2.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_2209.jpg
    IMG_2209.jpg
    401.4 KB · Views: 101
  • P1120303.jpg
    P1120303.jpg
    399.4 KB · Views: 77
  • P1120318.jpg
    P1120318.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 85
So sorry you had a miserable trip though it sounds like you appreciated the time you spent there -quite a rock isn't it ! Yemaya is great and Otmar is as much a rock as Malpelo is.

In case anyone in this thread is still planning a trip, we have a small group going on the Nemo from Colombia for Nov 4-12, with 5 full days at Malpelo. Price is not bad at $3400 + park fees so hope we can tempt some people to get on out there - as everyone who has been there will assure you, it is a must do!

Dominick Macan
Dive Advice Travel
dom@diveadvice.com
DIVE ADVICE TRAVEL - Welcome to Dive Advice Travel

Any of you guys interested in last minute spaces to Malpelo - we have 4 spaces availabel aboard an 11 night trip from Panama to Malpelo aboard the Yemaya Jul 11-22, 2011 at an amazing last minute rate of $2100 pp plus park fees. Let me know if you need more details. Cheers Dom

Dominick Macan
Dive Advice Travel
dom@diveadvice.com
DIVE ADVICE TRAVEL - Welcome to Dive Advice Travel

"In Partnership with Amazing Adventures Travel of Mill Valley, California"

Back
Top Bottom