Diving Marsa Alam, Egypt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dyandiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My husband and I are planning a trip to Egypt, Israel and, of course, diving in the Red Sea. Oct, 2020. My research so far suggests Marsa Alam is the best place. I'm looking for a hotel/dive package - or at least a resort that has a dive shop. Rather than going blind - any recommendations? We're looking for mid-priced. Not ever having been to the middle east I'm not sure what the prices are. We're senior citizens but healthy and active.

Thanks for any and all ideas.

First - combining Egypt and Israel in one trip might be a hassle, depending on the sequence you can spend a lot of time at immigration in both countries
Second - flight logistics. There are no direct flights between Hurghada or Marsa Alam and Israel, you need to go through Cairo if your lucky; worst case is flying to Europe and back

Then, if you only can get a flight to Hurghada, it is a 3 to 5 hours transfer (depending on which part that qualifies as Marsa Alam you want to go).
There is a couple of nice hotels around Port Ghalib (were the Marsa Alam airport actually is), further south Wadi Lahmi is quite nice.

From personal experience or through friends I can recommend to look a 3 Corners Fayrouz or Equinox, Brayka Bay and Wadi Lahmi.

I do like that DC: Utopia Dive Center El Quseir
This hotel Utopia Beach Club
It is not Marsa-Alam itself, but near (El-Quseir)
If you will booking it - ask for building 4 (as I can remember) - it is the same building, where DC is. Near the beach.
German team, Deuche ordnung. All is correct and qualified. Own fleet.
One of the best lagoons. You just can go for tanks, writting on the whiteboard, and go with buddy to dive. No extra control.
some my pictures from there https://my.mail.ru/mail/raven123/photo/257

I stayed at the Marina Lodge in Port Ghalib and dived with Emperor Divers about 3 1/2 years ago Emperor Divers and Marina Lodge Hotel April 2016 The hotel is not 5 star but was just fine and not expensive. I enjoyed my dives with Emperor Divers, on site at the hotel. A potential drawback is that the hotel is across the marina from the town and you take a shuttle to visit. This was not important for me.

You might find that entering through Jordan or overlanding it via Aqaba would be easier? Entering Israel via Land Borders with Jordan and Egypt
Not an option when you are in Marsa Alma
If you switch diving in Egypt to the Sharm-el Scheik area (Ras Mohammed, Straits of Tiran), than this would be a viable approach, unless you have been to Indonesia or Malaysia which complicates matters

Try and do a liveaboard to get to the best diving. Recommend Emperor Divers and Blue O 2 , which are run by UK companies and are fab value !

Not an option when you are in Marsa Alma
If you switch diving in Egypt to the Sharm-el Scheik area (Ras Mohammed, Straits of Tiran), than this would be a viable approach, unless you have been to Indonesia or Malaysia which complicates matters
I'm not sure what you mean by that, because I've made that trip from Hurghada via Luxor, Cairo (Pyramids), Sharm El Sheik, Elat, Aqaba, Petra. It took a week but was a fun overland. But that was about 30 years ago, just before the Gulf War. I think there is a ferry now between Hurghada and Sharm El Sheik now. Min Travel - Egypt Ferry Boat 2019 | Hurghada | Sharm El Sheikh | Hurghada

We did a two week trip last year. The first week was shore diving at Dahab. The second week was a liveaboard out of sharm. Our liveaboard travelled around the Sinai peninsula. We thought it was convenient and the diving was great. That itinerary included wrecks such as the thistlegorm, rays Mohammed park, and the tiran islands. It was the single best dive trip that I have been on.

We are going next August if you are interested.

I'm not sure what you mean by that, because I've made that trip from Hurghada via Luxor, Cairo (Pyramids), Sharm El Sheik, Elat, Aqaba, Petra. It took a week but was a fun overland. But that was about 30 years ago, just before the Gulf War. I think there is a ferry now between Hurghada and Sharm El Sheik now. Min Travel - Egypt Ferry Boat 2019 | Hurghada | Sharm El Sheikh | Hurghada

Yeah, I did a similar trip a number of years ago, and overland travel on Egyptian buses is hard and doesn't get any easier as you get older. The OP is a senior. They should do themselves a favor and connect through Cairo. Air all the way.

Back
Top Bottom