Diving Mexico Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you want to get out of the beaten track, go to the Sea of Cortez. The biodiversity there is quite something compared to the caribbean, so is the amount of fish in general. It is also more remote and the landscapes are pristine and dramatic. Dive operations tend to be small outside Cabo and so are groups. Loreto, Cabo Pulmo and La Paz are the main dive hubs, each of them with their unique stuff.

I run Blue Nation diving in Loreto, PM me for any info about the general area. Baja is great

Thanks everyone! I will take a read through the Coz forum as well. I think I've boiled it down to staying on Coz but I have a couple more questions:

--I changed my mind and would like to get a couple dives in the Cenotes (though it may just be me), is this something that can be arranged with a dive op in Coz including transport etc? I assume these are all on the mainland as opposed to on the islands.
--Is it possible to dive Isla Mujeres dive sites from Coz? I would love to explore different dives sites but would prefer not to have to change accommodations, unless you guys think it's worth a split? We are looking at 7 full days of diving (with one day on arrival and 2 days at the end with no diving before flights). Are there enough dive sites and variety around Coz not to get bored of the diving?
--Do dives need to be booked well in advance in Coz? My experience in Belize, Panama, and the Bahamas is that you can generally show up the day before to secure your spot on the boat for the following day (and that's the way we prefer to do it in case we want to change dive shops during the trip).
--We are definitely planning to get an Airbnb. Is there any area in Coz that is recommended? Prefer to be close to the restaurants, dive shops, etc of course.
Cozumel diving 100%. Isla is fun to visit for maybe 3 days but after that it gets old fast in my opinion. The diving there is no where near Cozumel, dives are more expensive, way shorter as the operators claim a marine park regulated 35 minute max bottom time ( ridiculous), dives are mostly shallow and you may end up with a long walk wearing your wetsuit from the dive shop to the dock or beach......not a biggie but if you are unable physically it can be tough. We surfaced from all of our dives with about half a tank left !! It's a good idea to reserve your dives ahead of time to ensure the right operator, many times we dove out boat was full and glad we booked ahead otherwise we would be searching for another operator.

Back
Top Bottom