Diving "Modern" with "Vintage" Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter, the DA is a fine regulator but now that your hooked what you really need is a round label heavy yoke Royal Aqua Master equipped with seats and seals from the newest Conshelf parts. Amazingly, it is entirely possible to build up a Royal Aqua Master that not only breaths and works better than when it was new in the box but is highly reliable and durable and in fact breaths as good or better than just about anything you can buy new today and works just fine at 3,500 psi. Anyways, just want to help your relationship out! N

I would show some pictures on how to set a double hose up for modern diving but this site does not seem to allow pictures anymore. N

Just point them to the vdh site where you showed your new Phoenix setup.

Here is what some of my modern gear with my new Phoenix Royal Aqua Master. The HP and LP hoses are not in a perfect position, but they are close enough for me.

I modified the BC so the shoulder straps attach directly to the back pack at the bottom (in a vintage backpack style) and I added the crotch strap (which you can only see in the last picture). This controls the tank and regulator on the right position. The backpack is always tight against my back.

The BC is classified as a jacket, but the bladder has most of the air around the tank. Only when I overfill it on the surface, there is any air on the sides of my waist, which floats me in a very comfortable position. There is no air bag around my shoulders or front. I need to trim the excess straps, but I am still doing some final adjustments.

DSCN3158.jpg

DSCN3164.jpg

DSCN3163.jpg

DSCN3165.jpg

DSCN3167.jpg

DSCN3174.jpg

Pretty good looking (I'm talking about the reg BTW). Can't wait for the Phoenix to become available. I have a DAAM waiting for it.

Luis, where did you get the neat thumb screws for the hose clamps.

any of you old gear nuts interested in a Mares MR12 III new in the box? Few years back had a dealer that still had them on the shelf so I traded him a couple new regs and walked away with it, still has the warranty card from 1981 (that was to be sent to seaquest).

captain:
Luis, where did you get the neat thumb screws for the hose clamps.

McMaster-Carr

I think it is one of this two:

Length (Lg.) Each
1/2" 91746A832 $1.76

3/4" 91746A836 $1.93

Head Type Knurled
Thread Size #4-40
System of Measurement Inch
Material Type 18-8 Stainless Steel
Finish Plain
Head Style Narrow
Tip Type Flat Point
Narrow Head Drive Style Slotted
Head Diameter (Dia.) 1/4"
Head Height (Ht.) 1/2"

KnurledNarrowSlotted.gif

Luis, that looks outstanding. I like your entire rig, except for that neon green weight belt, I prefer my neon orange one--lol

No, I was not going to post Phoenix pictures, I was going to post pics of a standard Royal Aqua Master with a typical "modern" set up. The Phoenix is Luis and only Luis so he gets to post those pics first--but--now that he has---can I post mine in public!

Cerich, the MR12 by Mares is not a vintage era equipment.

N

Yeah…after seen the pictures I decided to change the weight belt to one of my old black ones with a metal buckle (and already cut to fit). I will continue to use those XS Scuba weight pockets on the belt because they are incredibly convenient. I can remove or add weights at any point (even underwater) without removing the weight belt (and I use standard solid weights).

Nemrod
Of course you can post your pictures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom