diving mozambique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Got back from Tofo in mid-March of this year. Tofo is fantastic. It can't be beat for big stuff.

When we were there, there were so many whale sharks in the area that I actually got a little tired of them. On a trip out to Manta Reef, we passed 11-13. Most of the time, if you see one, you slide into the water with your snorkling gear on. For me, I get seasick easily, so that got a bit tiring. Ideally, one will buzz you during a safety stop.

Take polarized sunglasses with you on the boat and you'll spot them with no problem. Just don't wear the sunglasses when you push the boat into the water. I did that with my prescription glasses and now they are at the bottom of the Indian Ocean. Hopefully a nearsighted turtle is making good use of them.

Speaking of turtles, we did see some turtles at several sites. And of course, Mantas and devil rays are all over the place.

We dove with Diversity and had a great time. We went out several times when the OW students were doing their checkout dives. The students looked pretty good. Aside from the obvious stuff, they all secured their octupus regs and tucked away their consoles. No danglies anywhere! One nice thing about Diversity is a cafe/surf shop run by one of the DMs next door.

As a new diver, be aware that the best dives are deep. Amazon, Manta Reef and Office are all from 24-30m. You will need to take an additional lesson in deep dives after your OW training. Also, at the time we were there, some sites were drift dives due to the strong current. None of this is unmanagable, its just something to consider.

Don't forget the malaria pills and have a great time!

thank you very much for your help.
drift diving... how strong the currents, can you explain better?
i m thinking in awo so that will solve the problem about deep...
not taking malaria pills cause of drowsiness... :) you took them?

Hi mozamli

I would strongly recommend taking the malaria tablets . I know a few people that have contracted the disease . We used Doxycyclene which seemed to agree with us .
It's probably best to take your daily dose around supper time so that any feelings of
drowsiness have worn off by the next morning .There is one to avoid like the plague , but for the life of me I can't remember the name right now but I will find out for you.

The currents vary , but the divemaster will keep you informed.They aren't so bad that you can't dive , you just need to stick with your group .

Safe Diving

Andrew

hello, here the net is very very slow, so i will be short: i know the drug: mefloquine. Doxycyclene alone is nor enough and not good to intake when you are taking too much sun... i ve met a spanish girl here who told me the best ones... but now it s ok, i am being very careful with mosquito bites...
thank you very much anyway. :)

Yes that's the one !!!:) I knew someone would chip in .

Thanks Arthur

Safe Diving

Andrew

mozamli:
hello! :)
going to mozambique in april.
as anyone have advice about a good diving school?
i was thinking inhambane...

I am planning on going there in a couple of yrs. Please let me know how it was with any recommendations......thanks JK

just dived inhambane. or more precisely tofo and area around. it was my intention to do the aow, but since i was with some friends there and i was loving to see how life goes in mozambique as well, i ve just done a deep adventure dive to be able to do the dives. most of them there are deep ones, so if you have the time doing there the advanced should be a great thing to do... after all i ve dived with diversity scuba. great guys, some of them really helpful and funny (fun pre and pos briefings, some will teach you more than others, but if you ask to much things as i do they will be great in finding the answer to everything - that s a great thing for me!)
manta reef is a must. more than once i think cause you see mantas for sure, but is great to have more time to appreciate the scenery...
i ve been also to another place called galeria and table top, this late one a deeper one, strong current but nothing that one can t do, really special. inside an aquarium.
one recommendation. best dives in the morning!
dont forget to visit inhambane. mozambique most charming place to live.

Thanks Arthur
and Andy for your concern.

the brand name varies upon the country where you buy it, but the best ones for diving are: proguanil+atavaquone. i ve met a patologist from spain specialized in malaria here working in mozambique :)

Glad you had a good time! Did you get a chance to go to Amazon? Since you're back safely, I can tell you that we saw a 4m tiger shark at the site. It was a very rare sighting, so I didn't want to alarm you. The shark didn't seem to be very interested in us.

Also, for anyone interested, Malarone is the brand name for Atavaquone Proguanil in the USA. This is what I took. I had no psycotic episodes as far as I know. Then again, maybe I imagined the shark. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom