diving mozambique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Mozamli

Glad you had such a good time. How did you find Tofo as a place?

As suspected (planned) I've managed to persuade the wife-to-be to return and we'll be back in Tofo in Spetember - Hooray!

Regarding the anti-malarials When I was last there i was on Doxycycline but unfortunately I reacted quite badly (Constant sunburn). Malarone is supposed to be good but is very expensive and (in the uk last year at least) wouldn't be prescribed for a long period (Don't know if this was cos of the length of time or the cost).
This left me we no choice but to take Larium on a RTW trip. Absolutely no problems at all personally, not one psychotic episode!. Frankly I'm disgusted and shall be writing to those moneygrabbing pharmaceutical companies to complain. Spoilt all my fun! ;-)
Still, maybe I imagined some of my better sightings as well? A new post I think - 'What is the best thing you've hallucinated under water?'

sorry for the late reply, but since i ve got back everything is so much faster.... :)
glad you didn t tell me about the shark :) i avoid amazon because it was the only place at the school where the word shark happens to show up :) so maybe next time. it was a great experience to dive in such a location and i am not willing to see sharks but maybe next time i will be less afraid. i went to the lisbon oceanarium last week just to relax and remember the feeling of lots of water everywhere and i just miss the dives not thinking about them ("the sharks"). starting to feel more comfortable with this new environment. :)
going to try malarone next time. no malaria this time, i was very very careful with mosquito bites and i m back enough time to say i didn t caught the thing :)

Glad you had a good time in Moz.Pity you didn't get to see the sharks , they are really graceful creatures underwater .....maybe next time .I am planning a trip to Tofo again for next year , maybe sooner .

Safe Diving

Andrew

How did you get from Maputo to Tofo. Can you just fly to Inhambane and use public transportation? Do you need a car or is everything walking distance?

Has anyone been to Burato (spelling?)

hello!
you can fly to inhambane from maputo. depending on your budget, it s the best way to do it, but probably not so cheap as other domestic flights inside mozambique... i went there from beira, so it was possible just by bus (i stopped at vilankulos to spend the afternoon and a night there). but i took 5 hours to do 250 km...
i was in tofo with some friends, so i went back to maputo with them and the road seemed ok but even with a pickup it took us 5 hours too to reach maputo from inhambane.
around inhambane it s nice if you have a car but i got around with bus the 2 days i was there on my own (my friend arrived later) and the distances are ok. no walking distances, except if you adore walking :)
chapas are the best choice and if you stay overnight in tofo, everything there is walking distance.
any more questions feel free to ask, i loved diving there..... :)

ps. burato? :)

champ:
Has anyone been to Burato (spelling?)

Maybe Bazaruto ? - it's an island offshore from Vilankulos .

Safe Diving

Andrew

I was in Ponta Mamoli a few weeks ago and can seriously recommend it. The place is stunning and the lodge is ridiculously comfortable. The diving was OK - at the time I thought it was fantastic but then moved to Aliwal and Protea and that was some serious life, so I have downgraded Mamoli to OK. But I have to say sitting in a bar overlooking MOzambique while watching an international rugby match with a beer is gonna take some beating
If you want to get away from EVERYTHING and be comfortable then head to Mamoli - about 2 hours over the border as well

Back
Top Bottom