Diving MUSA - need advice on dive shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kpickerell

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'll be in Cancun doing a resort inspection and thought while I was there I would dive MUSA (the underwater museum). Has anyone dived it, and if so, what are your thoughts? Also, any recommendations on dive shops?

Many dive shops will do it on set days as a single tank dive, such as Thursday and Sunday afternoons. I suppose it is worth seeing just to see it, but it isn't my favorite dive.

Hey kpickerell

yes we dive frequently over there since its only 25ft of depth its good for beginners and for certified divers. We typically do the first dive at the museum and then, one other reef where there is more fish and marine live to see check us out

Coconut Divers
Leif Meinert

I agree with Leif! Coconut divers are a great new shop, they will take good care of you!

We just got back from there last week. The site is rather plain, shallow, about 10m. Little or no current, a few fish, etc. We also did 2 reefs in the area, Manchones 1 and 2. ( I may have spelled that wrong). We dove with Arturo from Delphino dive shop. On the surface, he seems efficient, but not really impressed with over professionalism. For example, we rented equipment, told them how much weight I needed, and they put in 4 lbs less than I asked. Needless to say I couldn't get down, swam back to the boat and added the 4 more I needed. Not a huge issue, and yes, I should have checked myself, but on a crowded boat, you would expect something like that to be correct. There were other issue as well, including the care of their own equipment. Anyway, I would not recommend them and would not use them again.

Hello,
we have had diverse opinions on MUSA, some really like it and come back to check on the changes on the statues, some of them newer than others, some other divers have not enjoyed it as much. The view of it is that it IS a museum a dive site that was set to create a new habitat for all different organisms and fish that develop on the material the statues are made of.
It is a shallow dive that we do in a long 1 tank dive, although we can provide a 2 tank dive.
If you wish to check out some videos of it or if you require more information about it please click on the web site and send us an email.
Our services are private meaning you even if 1 diver and a Scuba Instructor.

Happy diving.

Honestly, don't waste your time with it. We dive it last year and was not impressed. Very little to no marine life. Only 20ft deep, and statues were algae covered. I'm in cancun now and dove it 2 more times as someone I was with was doing their OW cert so I'd tag along. It was worse then last year and poor viz. request to go out to the reefs off the hotel zone strip (Caribbean side) they're a bit further out but good viz, healthy reefs, and sometimes there can be a drift which is fun. Those are about 50ft.

Back
Top Bottom