Diving near Bangkok?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigblue_hi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'll be in Bangkok next week for about a week for work. Travel plans still a bit tentative but probably will only have one day to go diving and realize Bangkok is not exactly the best, but would like to get wet anyway.

Don't plan to take my rebreather, not worth it for one day of diving. If I could get some good dives planned for the Saturday I'll be free, I might consider bringing my CFWA DSLR setup, else I'll probably just bring my compact P&S.

Any recommendations for operators and/or sites would be appreciated. I'm not overly price sensitive, just want a good experience. I'd love to see bigger stuff (sharks) if possible. I'm going back next year and will plan a proper trip then.

The "big stuff" you are most likely to find near Bangkok are shipwrecks! You are going to want to look into Pattaya diving since you can get there by road from Bangkok. Dive shops in Bangkok can organize transfers (maybe the Pattaya shops do too). Do a search for recent threads about Pattaya diving and you'll find a lot of recommendations both pro and con for specific shops.

If you just have one day, Pattaya will be pretty much your only option. A quick search should indeed give you plenty of ideas, as Quero mentioned.

As already stated, Pattaya is your only option. Maybe worth contacting some of the Bangkok shops, mainly at weekends some organise trips to Samae San which is about 30km south from Pattaya and the diving is generally much better there than in Pattaya city. Also will generally be about half the price to book your diving this way as opposed to going to one of the Pattaya shops.
If you just want to get wet you will be ok, but to avoid disapointment dont expect too much from the diving as it is really not that great, also I dont fancy your chances of spotting sharks. Over a number of years I have dived the area frequently and never seen one, the only 'large' marine life I have ever seen on a regular basis are turtles.
Good luck

Thanks for the info, pretty much echoed what I'd read. Not going to expect anything spectacular, but it's just a business trip so this is basically bonus, plus it's at least some different stuff to see since I've never dove over there.

Decided to email Adventure Divers after reviewing reviews and the owner Robert emailed me back right away. Seems pretty chill. Thinking I'll taxi to Pattaya Friday night and dive all day Saturday and think i will bring my camera.. What the heck right?

Thanks for the info, pretty much echoed what I'd read. Not going to expect anything spectacular, but it's just a business trip so this is basically bonus, plus it's at least some different stuff to see since I've never dove over there.

Decided to email Adventure Divers after reviewing reviews and the owner Robert emailed me back right away. Seems pretty chill. Thinking I'll taxi to Pattaya Friday night and dive all day Saturday and think i will bring my camera.. What the heck right?

Think you have made a good choice with Adventure Divers, along with real Divers, in my mind the best Pattaya has to offer, it would be worth talking to them about the possibility of diving at Samae San, most Pattaya shops run trips down there and it is a much nicer environment in general than Pattaya, and the diving is generally better than the Pattaya Islands have to offer. Harddeep wreck and shark fin rock are my two favourite dives there.

We have one day more. We will have free time in Bangkok from Wednesday and we have long flight from here in Monday morning. However.... we are a little bit afraid of weather. We don't want to take flight f.e in wednesday to Phuquet and stuck there because of wheather. Better wrack diving in Pataya (Pataya has good wheather forecast) than no diving at all in Phuquet. We'd love to go to Similan Island, we're dreaming about sharks and mantas but we must think about our budget and time: both to small :( What do You think will it be risky to go now to Phuquet ?

It is not risky to come to Phuket now, trips are going put and weather forecasts are good.

But take also your no-flying time into account, I would not go to Phuket for just the one day.

Similans national park is closed at the moment BTW, no trips going there.

Thanks for your tips :) So.. we choose Phuket and hopefully have 3 days for diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom