Diving Near Dayton? June 17-23

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skyhawk133

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi there GLWC divers! Desert diver here from the Albuquerque, NM area. I'm going to be in the Dayton area between June 17-23 and may be interested in doing a dive while I'm there. I've heard of the Natural Springs Resort, but don't know much about it. Would a 7mm wet suit suffice?

Any other good dives in the area?

Would also be looking for a buddy if I do go. The weekend (June 20/21) would probably be the best.

Thanks in advance for the info!

There are three great quarries within 2 1/2 hours of Dayton. Gilboa would be the closest. Check the websites for Gilboa , Whitestar, and Portage Quarry. I'm with the Wright State University group and I'm not sure if anything is planned for that weekend. Ber Rabbit, Notso Ken, and Steve Dives are usually on the board and might know the schedule. If we are not diving that weekend it should be easy to connect with someone
on the board or through the quarries. The 7 mm suit should suffice.

Hi there GLWC divers! Desert diver here from the Albuquerque, NM area. I'm going to be in the Dayton area between June 17-23 and may be interested in doing a dive while I'm there. I've heard of the Natural Springs Resort, but don't know much about it. Would a 7mm wet suit suffice?

Any other good dives in the area?

Would also be looking for a buddy if I do go. The weekend (June 20/21) would probably be the best.

Thanks in advance for the info!

Hello Chris! I used to be from Albuquerque myself, having been born there and lived there for a while.

Anyways, as Steve says, Gilboa, White Star, Portage, and Natural Springs are all fairly close by (to put them in my order of preference).

Gilboa - under 2 hours
White Star and Portage - 2 and a half to 3 hours
Natural Springs - 45 minutes (tops, depending on exactly where in the Dayton area you are.)

I'd recommend you post a thread "looking for dive buddy at Gilboa weekend of 20 June" You should have no trouble finding someone to meet there.

Steve - don't know of anything going on that weekend. OW checkouts will be prior to that.

Ken

Natural Springs is ok and it warms up quickly but most of it is 18 feet deep with a trench along one wall that goes to 25 feet deep. They charge something like $17 to get in but you get one air fill if someone is there working the air station. The better option is to make the drive to Gilboa, it's a much better dive. I'm going to be in Colorado while you're in town but there are plenty of GLWC people who may be available, it's a good group of folks. Even going up to Gilboa and telling the owner you need a buddy should get you someone to dive with, there are lots of regular divers up there who are happy to show people "their" quarry.
Ber :lilbunny:

Thanks!

It looks like I'll be up at Gilboa on the 19th. Will need a buddy. I'll start a new thread for that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom