Diving next to Mansfield dam near the jailhouse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

c_figaro

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I don't know much about mansfield dam. I dove with some guys next to it this past saturday (k-valve, technadive3x). They assured me it was ok, and the dive was awesome! Still, diving next to that dam begs the question:

Don't you guys wonder if there's some kind of hole somewhere in back of the dam that you shouldn't go next to? :confused:

I don't know much about mansfield dam. I dove with some guys next to it this past saturday (k-valve, technadive3x). They assured me it was ok, and the dive was awesome! Still, diving next to that dam begs the question:

Don't you guys wonder if there's some kind of hole somewhere in back of the dam that you shouldn't go next to? :confused:

There are sorta holes into the structure itself...but they are sealed off so you would not pop through to the other side! Course as one might imagine don't go into the structure without the appropr. training/gear and dive plan. I have to admit that I have only dove the dam and never the 'scuba park' area that is close by....I need a tour of that some trip down. :)

the holes are "inside" the jail houses and are quite large you could drive a car into them (or at least the ones I've seen) and they are located at the bottom.

The deepest I have been on the dam when it was "open" was 60 feet, the vibrations were strong enough on my body that I didn't want to go any deeper.

I have heard from several people that they sound a hydraphone (?) off before they open the dam up but the warning time is not much.

Last I was on the bottom someone ran a line all along the bottom of the dam and there were "air bubbles" coming up out of the silt along the bottom of the dam, I assume those bubbles were gases from rotting material that collects up at the bottom of the dam.

Certain sections of the dam are "undercut" quite far, I would assume by design.

the holes are "inside" the jail houses and are quite large you could drive a car into them (or at least the ones I've seen) and they are located at the bottom.

The deepest I have been on the dam when it was "open" was 60 feet, the vibrations were strong enough on my body that I didn't want to go any deeper.

I have heard from several people that they sound a hydraphone (?) off before they open the dam up but the warning time is not much.

Last I was on the bottom someone ran a line all along the bottom of the dam and there were "air bubbles" coming up out of the silt along the bottom of the dam, I assume those bubbles were gases from rotting material that collects up at the bottom of the dam.

Certain sections of the dam are "undercut" quite far, I would assume by design.

Isn't there always at least a little flow allowed through the dam, even when it isn't "open"?

How close have people gotten to those car sized holes when the dam was open?

even if they are open just a little think of fluid dynamics, if the hole going out is the size of a softball and the hole going in is the size of a garage, the speed of the fluid entering the garage hole is going to be very slow.

I have heard of people swimming up into those holes, I wouldn't ever consider doing that.

The times I have been there when it has been open, it has been absolutely deafening.
The noise is definately a deterant. The deeper you go, the louder it gets.

The holes Rick is referring are large.....deeper down are holes are just large enough for 2 divers to enter side by side if they wanted....they don't cut back real far.

:crafty:Isn't there a "light switch" on the light post to turn the turbines off while one is diving? :D

Edit:
I am sorry. I shouldn't make such fun of such a serious thread. Please don't let me interrupt a serious discussion.

The turbines operate by Clap on-Clap off......

Robert that was a good one.....LOL spewing coffee on my keyboard:rofl3:

On a serious note does anyone have a link or pics of the dam as it was being constructed?

Back
Top Bottom