Diving off a small tinny tips and advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom_Ivan

Contributor
Reaction score
This coming weekend a friend and I will be diving off a small 3.2m (10ft) aluminum dingy. There's some "small boat" threads already but most of the discussion is about inflatables.

Looking to see if any specific advice out there for entry and exit techniques etc. I figure we'll be going over the transom to avoid it flipping over.

Any other advice?

Usually, small Aluminum boats have a lifted bow to help it get up on plane. If it has a flat nose, it might be better to get back in over the bow because it'll be higher so less water will slop over.

Assuming that you will be leaving the boat unattended and are with a buddy........ and returning to the boat together..... I would have the non boarding buddy go to the opposite side and hold the top of the gunnel to help offset the weight of the boarding diver. Once the fist diver is onboard he/she can move to the offset position...

Also, I would rig up a line with clips so that you can inflate your rig, doff it, then attach to the line so you can board with just you and your fins on then bring the gear back onboard later.

This coming weekend a friend and I will be diving off a small 3.2m (10ft) aluminum dingy. There's some "small boat" threads already but most of the discussion is about inflatables.

Looking to see if any specific advice out there for entry and exit techniques etc. I figure we'll be going over the transom to avoid it flipping over.

Any other advice?
Can it handle the weight of 2 divers, motor, fuel, anchor, and scuba gear? Or is it going to swamp at the ramp? Most 10ft dinghies have a 2 *maybe* 3 person capacity and you're probably going to be over that.

10' is small. I have a 14' one and it's small.

Reboarding advice. Take off your kit and weights and tie them to a line you've left trailing from the boat, but leave you fins on. Board over the side. If there's someone aboard then they move to the opposite side and lean back over the gunwale to balance you. If there's someone in the water than they move to the opposite side and pull down on the gunwale to balance you. If neither then you'll probably need an outrigger (which you can make) to keep from swamping the boat, or you can try climbing up the bow.

Make a ladder with one or two steps to make it easier. Something made out of wood that hangs over the gunwales is enough. Tie a safety line so it doesn't end up on the opposite side of the lake. A rope ladder can work if tied to an outrigger but usually not otherwise, the step will just go under the bottom where it's useless when you stand on it.

10' is small. I have a 14' one and it's small.

Reboarding advice. Take off your kit and weights and tie them to a line you've left trailing from the boat, but leave you fins on. Board over the side. If there's someone aboard then they move to the opposite side and lean back over the gunwale to balance you. If there's someone in the water than they move to the opposite side and pull down on the gunwale to balance you. If neither then you'll probably need an outrigger (which you can make) to keep from swamping the boat, or you can try climbing up the bow.

Make a ladder with one or two steps to make it easier. Something made out of wood that hangs over the gunwales is enough. Tie a safety line so it doesn't end up on the opposite side of the lake. A rope ladder can work if tied to an outrigger but usually not otherwise, the step will just go under the bottom where it's useless when you stand on it.
Small addition:
Tie the gear on the opposite side of the boat as far out of the water as you can manage plus deflate the BCD. Helps counter balance.
Note: I've only done this from a small RHIB so YMMV.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom