Diving off Savannah

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaJoy65

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I live in Charleston, SC and want to dive off the coast of Savannah. I've searched through numerous threads looking for dive boats that have scheduled charters my boyfriend and I could join. I've had limited success. Google hasn't produced results either.

Can someone please enlighten me? I know there has to be some great diving off the coast of Savannah or anywhere south of Charleston for that matter. I'm ready to go diving!

Thanks in advance for your insights -
Joy

I had more hits with Google using "Tybee Island Scuba" than I did with "Savannah Scuba." Tybee is a bit more coastal - beaches, etc.

Hi:

You might want to try Island Dive Center on St. Simons Island at (912) 638-6590. They run dives out to the Liberty ship wrecks. The wrecks are located 30 miles off the coast, and were sunk 30+ years ago as artificial reefs. Are totally encrusted and have a lot of fish life, and some particularly large loggerhead turtles.

The downside -- a little pricey -- it takes a lot of gas to run the diveboat 30 miles out! As it takes some time to run out there, sea conditions need to be calm to allow the boat to get out and back in a decent amount of time.

One more thing -- the wrecks are also covered with snapping shrimp, making it sound like you're in a popcorn popper. It's the noisiest underwater environment I've ever been in.

Good luck! It's a neat treat.

Susan

I live in Charleston, SC and want to dive off the coast of Savannah. I've searched through numerous threads looking for dive boats that have scheduled charters my boyfriend and I could join. I've had limited success. Google hasn't produced results either.

Can someone please enlighten me? I know there has to be some great diving off the coast of Savannah or anywhere south of Charleston for that matter. I'm ready to go diving!

Thanks in advance for your insights -
Joy

: : Mako Dive Charter : :

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom