Diving on A&E TV.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JamesK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Check out A&E tonight on TV!!

Saturday , July 20 08:00 PM - 09:00 PM
Dreamchasers
Cave Diving: An Underwater Maze
Mike Kane, a Los Angeles search and rescue diver, shows us the sport of cave diving by taking us to an unexplored cave below the ancient Mayan ruins on Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula.
TV PG

Cool, THanks, I will have to check that out. I am becoming obsessed with this diving thing. I have to catch all the shows.

Jessica

I enjoyed the show to. It was incredable down there.

Jessica

I also enjoyed the show. I did think, however, that Mike was too rigid in his decisions not to rig his gear as the locals recommended until way late in the show. I would think that those who knew the caves much better than he, and who had much more experience in the area, would be the best to know how the configuration should be. It was interesting that Buddy stated that GUE only trained one way and that was rediculous to him. I figured that was why Mike was so rigid in his configuration.

What would anyone else do in Mike's position? Would you change your technique based on the experts in the area or just "do it your way" because you've "always done it that way"?

Originally posted by wetman
I'd love to know what cameras they were using.

Wes Skiles mentioned "High Definition Cameras". I didn't find any details on the A&E Website, but I found the following on Wes's website... perhaps this is what your looking for?

High Definition

I'm really interested in hearing the feedback from the GUI/DIR crew, since they really took a lot of abuse through that whole show. I have to say however, Mike Kane was definately easy to pick out when he was underwater, since those wings folded together and sticking up like a fin really gave him away. I don't mean to be offensive in any way, but from an outsider looking in it really looked like they were right and a BC designed for side rigged tanks would have been the way to go.

Oh... and yes, I thought it was an absolutely incredible show, and I can't wait to see more... time to find where "Journey into Amazing Caves" is playing!

Well, I wish I would have taped it. I would love to have a copy.

I will be down there, diving with Hidden Worlds (Buddy) in September. 10 days there is my b-day present to myself. I can't wait.

Anyway, on to the show. Personally, I thought it was a pretty good show. The cave footage was beautiful. I am also glad that they silted it out, got stuck, and lost the line. That will show those who do not cave dive, that you really do need to be trained before attempting it. Showing that even some of the best in world can get themselves into those problems might make some folks think twice.

As for Mike changing his gear, I have mixed feelings on that. Side mount is something completely different from regular DIR diving, which is what he does. BTW, I am not sure if he still is, but he has dove with WKPP before. Now back to the topic. Like I said, side mount is a totally different animal. I do not blame him for not changing his gear, as he already had a lot of task loading to begin with by trying to get used to side mount. It would be nice to know that you still have your gear, which you are intimate with. However, I would have taken some tips from Buddy and Paul. I would have strapped the wings down. Floating up as he had them, could have caused a problem if he went through a tight area, as they could have got stuck. Personally, I think he should have got a little more used to side mounting before he undertook a dive like he did.

All in all though, I enjoyed the show. I am now looking forward to my trip more than ever.

BTW, if anyone taped it, wanna send me a copy! :wink: :D

One thing that really impressed me was the total buoyancy control. I'm still working on that one and it's gonna take a while to learn how to trim so I can get horizontal. But the way they were just controlling their glide paths was so cool looking it made me drool to get wet soon so I could practice that.:jump:

Does anyone know what type/brand of communication system they were using? Does anyone use a similar system for dives other that cave or penetration? How about just plain ol recreational diving with your buddy?:1eye:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom