Diving on A&E TV.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The face mask was an AGA. I am not sure what type of comm unit he was using. As for uses for this, most cave divers do not use any sort of verbal comm device. They are usually only used in situations like the show where they want commentary on video. They are seen more commonly in NE wreck diving I believe.

My guess on the underwater communications would be that they were most likely using equipment from Ocean Technology Systems. Most of the underwater stuff you see in the movies or on TV is done with their gear and most of the world's militaries use it as well.

I loved the show. I am wonder a few things though. Ok, their goal was pushing new cave. Why the communation system? With all the divers expect for Mike and Wes meeting for the first time in Mexico I could see where it would be a huge safety advantage, but the constant narration? You're talking all that time, burning your first third pretty fast.

Aarrgh - I missed it!

I was channel surfing last night and just caught the ending credits with some of the footage that was on the show.

I looked in my trusty tv guide for a time that the program was going to be reshown, which apparently wasn't so trusty this week - for some reason the programming was off a couple hours or so. Tried to calculate with the messed up scheduling what time it was going to be on again and set my VCR - didn't get it.

Hopefully it will be shown again soon.

I saw the show as well (thanks to my Tivo "Diving" wishlist!).

It was amazing visually, the different cave environments were absolutely beautiful.

Also, I was surprised and curious about the disdain for DIR/GUE divers by Buddy during the show. My reaction of his criticism based on what was shown on the show, I haven't changed my mind that the DIR philosophy still makes a lot of sense.

His main criticism was that (paraphrasing) "those GUE guys' idea of cave diving is not very practical. Everybody should wear the same equipment and do everything the same in all conditions, which is insane. Down here we use 100 different configurations for different things."

Buddy didn't substantiate his criticism with any reasoning that was shown in the diveshop scene. And actually, after reading the DIR Fundamentals book (I haven't taken the class yet but want to), I understand that one of the main advantages of the DIR rig is the consistency between divers - you don't have to think about your buddy's rig to know how he's set up, it's automatic if he's DIR.

And JamesK, I agree that it was great that they got silted out and lost the line in the same scene. You get a really good visual idea of the danger, plus a an audio indication of how these guys sound when they're borderline panicking.

Chepar, I've checked the guide for the next few weeks, and the only upcoming Dreamchasers show is for a guy going to Thailand to kickbox. I've still got the Cave Diving show on Tivo for the moment, and if you really want it, send me an IM and I'll figure out a way to get a copy to you. It's definitely not too often you get to see a show with underwater visuals like this!

Cheers,

Rick

...GUE/WKPP has dove that same cave system with back mounted tanks and had no problems. Mike changing his gear would have been unsafe and a really bad idea. Look who holds the records and has the impeccable accident record....hint, it ain't Buddy and co.

One thing that really impressed me was the total buoyancy control. I'm still working on that one and it's gonna take a while to learn how to trim so I can get horizontal.

Take a DIRF, it will save you a ton of time and keep you from getting the wrong techniques ingrained through muscle memory. You will learn all this in a DIRF and a lot more.

Originally posted by O-ring
...GUE/WKPP has dove that same cave system with back mounted tanks and had no problems. Mike changing his gear would have been unsafe and a really bad idea. Look who holds the records and has the impeccable accident record....hint, it ain't Buddy and co.

GUE might have dove that system in back mounts, but they also did not do the same area that the group did. There are a LOT of areas in Dos Ojos that you need to do side mount. Did you not notice on the show how some got stuck in place, even while wearing a much thinner side mount set up? Imagine trying to fit through in a backmount. Sure, you might eventually be able to dig through, but the damage done to the cave would be irreversible.

I am friends with a woman who lives there and dives those caves everyday. As a matter of fact, I am going down in September to dive them with her. I have pictures of her in areas where even a side mount rig will not fit. You have to remove one of your tanks from your sidemount config to fit through. It simply ain't back mount territory.

I do feel DIR and back mount is the way to go, however it simply will not fit in some places. Sometimes you need to use a sidemount rig.

Oh, and as for Buddy, he is a very accomplished cave explorer with thousands of dives in those systems. I do not question his skills at all.

I've use a Zeagle Ranger BC, Sherwood Oasis Reg, Scubapro Air 2 alternate air source, Uwatec Smart Com computer. Does this mean that my equipment is not able to config to be DIR? Is the only way to get horizontal and have great buoyancy control is to buy all the DIR equipment and start from scratch?:confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom