Diving & Oral Surgery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doug441

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
On Nov 14 I had surgery to remove one of my lower wisdom teeth and a cyst in the jaw bone. The cyst had formed a pocket in my jawbone about the size of a man's thumb. The pocket has filled with blood that over the next 6-9 months will turn to bone. We have a dive trip planned to Cozumel on Jan 6, about 8 weeks post surgery. I've asked my surgeon whether diving would present any complications and he didn't think so, but he's not a diver and has never had to answer this question. At 8 weeks out from surgery, the incision site should be completely healed and the blood in the pocket should be starting to firm up. The only concern my surgeon could see was the chance of air pocket expansion in the jawbone on ascent, but thought that wouldn't be a problem. Anybody out there have a similar experience or any wisdom to share? Any thoughts are appreciated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom