• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Diving post ACDF spinal surgery

Discussion in 'Dive Related Accidents and Problems' started by divingscorpio13, Aug 20, 2018.

1. SJT1961

SJT1961 Angel Fish

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    @Superlyte27 Glad to hear you are doing well. Another victory for spine surgery!

2. Zef

Zef Divemaster Candidate

I have cadaver bone and a titanium plate holding C3-C4 together. The cadaver bone is used as spacing and to provide a substrate for ossification to develop, the titanium plate is used for initial stability during the ossification/healing process.

The wedge of cadaver bone is sterile, but I understand why it might sound creepy.

-Z

3. Zef

Zef Divemaster Candidate

Unfortunately this is not uncommon. With the vertebrae fused it causes the vertebrae and discs above and below the fused segment(s) to bear more stress which often leads to their deterioration and the need for further fusions...this is much more common with lumbar segment fusions due to the weight bearing nature of the lumbar spine but it is not uncommon with the cervical spine as well...good posture, strength, and flexibility of the cervical spine can help prolong the time it takes for the deterioration but the fusion creates a bio-mechanical change that is really unavoidable.

-Z

4. divingscorpio13

divingscorpio13 Angel Fish

# of Dives: 200 - 499

I thought I would give a quick update post dive trip.

As I stated originally my surgery was July 23, 2018 and on October 13, 2018 I spent 2 weeks in the Cook Islands diving Rarotonga and Aitutaki which was phenomenal!

Raro was a giant stride off the back of the boat which was no trouble at all but Aitutaki was a back roll. Since it was such a high drop I decided to float my gear and drop into the water and put it on in the water. Worked great! Didn't miss a dive and was able to get 12 dives in!

5. Superlyte27

Superlyte27 Cave Instructor

# of Dives: 5,000 - āˆž
    I did about a 9000ā€™ 4+ hour cave dive on Saturday. No issues. Iā€™m pretty happy. Highly recommend Dr. Ramirez in Orlando

6. tcpip95

tcpip95 Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Got the ACDF done Tuesday morning. No pain in the incision area, but my back truly feels like I have been beaten with a bat. I have some mild pain on the inside (on the spine itself) where I believe the actual drilling/shaving/shimming took place, but it's nothing compared to the muscle pain that I'm experiencing in my shoulders and middle back. MUCH worse that my 1st ACDF.

The doctor told my wife that they had to orient my head/neck in a certain position - and kept it there for quite awhile apparently - in order to do the work. The on-table time was 1 hour and 20 minutes. I'm at Day 3+ right now. No neck pain, but my back is killing me. I'd torn the muscles in my back when I was younger; that's exactly what this feels like.

7. Superlyte27

Superlyte27 Cave Instructor

# of Dives: 5,000 - āˆž
    It gets better. Promise

8. Resqdivemedic

Resqdivemedic Public Safety Diver

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I remember after my surgery 15 years ago the most uncomfortable thing was wearing a hard plastic cervical collar for a month. Not sure if you are being put through that same torture. Good luck, things will get better!