Diving Puerto Rico and Mona Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divingscorpio13

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Any one have any suggestions on the best area to dive from? I'm learning the northwest side of the island or southern out of the Ponce area may be the best. What are the actual chances of being able to make it out to Mona Island and does anyone do day trips?

We will be going in November 2017.

any help is greatly appreciated!

We've dove Desecheo Island and the wall at La Parguera, stayed in Rincon (drove down to La Parguera as a day trip). Also dove the wall in the Guanica area, stayed in Playa Santa for three nights. Just got back from diving two days on Culebra.

The walls along the southwestern coast are extraordinary, especially off Guanica, however we'd re-think staying in Playa Santa, as the eating opportunities were limited. Culebra was fun, but a lot of effort to get our gear over there.

Can't help you on Mona.

Does anyone like a dive operator do day trips to Mona? No. You might find a private charter to take you.

The best diving in Puerto Rico IMO is the south side and south west, out of La Parguera.

Mona is awesome! The liveaboard Juliet usually has trips to Mona 1 or 2 weeks each year.

Any one have any suggestions on the best area to dive from? I'm learning the northwest side of the island or southern out of the Ponce area may be the best. What are the actual chances of being able to make it out to Mona Island and does anyone do day trips?

Literally was getting on the board to make this very post right now. The only information I've been able to find online outside of the Juliet Liveaboard mentioned is Encanto Divers. Their site says they do trips to Mona for $550 (3 days), but I haven't contacted them.

Please post back if you end up finding a way to get there! Going in be in PR Dec. 18-Jan 3.

Literally was getting on the board to make this very post right now. The only information I've been able to find online outside of the Juliet Liveaboard mentioned is Encanto Divers. Their site says they do trips to Mona for $550 (3 days), but I haven't contacted them.

Please post back if you end up finding a way to get there! Going in be in PR Dec. 18-Jan 3.
Did you end up finding a dive shop with day trips to Mona Island? I visited Puerto Rico twice before and dove La Parguera with Paradise Divers and also in Fajardo. Was considering making a trip to Mona on my next visit.

Anyone have any luck booking a dive charter to mona island recently? I'm looking at planning a trip for spring 2019.

@lajhal The Juliet is diving Mona Island in December 2018 and March 2019. I'm going in December.

Mona Island Diving

Check their calendar for 2019 info. The Juliet docks about 3 miles from the Mayaguez airport (MAZ).

Anyone have any luck booking a dive charter to mona island recently? I'm looking at planning a trip for spring 2019.

The MV Juliet goes to Mona Island 2 times a year for 1 week excursions of Mona and Monita and Desecheo in March and December. At lease 50 dives are required to join the 12 strong team. Sure-footedness is a requirement also.

I just realized I posted a mini-review of my trip to Mona on the Juliet in a different thread (Juliet Liveaboard).

I'll repost it here, where it's more relevant.
-----
The Mona trip was very good diving, but definitely not for inexperienced divers. There were fairly strong currents on most dives, and re-boarding the ship could be challenging at times due to the choppy seas. It wasn't tremendously fishy, although I saw larger specimens of most common Caribbean reef fish than I've seen elsewhere. I assume that's because there is no fishing, due to it (1) being a nature preserve and (2) being 40 miles from Puerto Rico. The only other divers we saw all week were a couple of scientists on a research project.

We alternated between Mona and Monito. The "landscape" was mainly fields of giant, angular "boulders" that had calved off the main islands. Some of the "boulders" were the size of apartment buildings. Lots of swim-thrus, nice corals (hard and soft). There were some pretty dramatic underwater views of huge waves crashing against the flat sides of Mona. There was some impressive surge associated with the crashing waves, suddenly pulling you up 8-10 ft, then back down again. I thought it was a fun ride.

The ride out was overnight, and the seas weren't too bad. We came back a few hours earlier than planned to avoid some heavy weather moving in. The return trip was definitely pretty rough (although very sunny). Bring the motion-sickness cure of your choice... I went with a scopolamine patch behind an ear and had no issues.

I enjoyed the Mona trip, but probably won't do it again. Liza was thinking of doing BVI again next December, which I did 3 years ago. I may do that one again.

Safe Diving!
Don

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom