Diving Riviera Maya????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey, all! Haven't been on the board in a dog's age, but need some advice. The wife (non-diver) and I were looking for a getaway next month, and I was thinking Coz. I haven't been there since '98, but I remember it fondly. I left the room for twenty minutes, and when I came back, she's researching resorts on the Riviera Maya.

What I remember from 20 years ago is, aside from the cenote diving, ocean diving around Cancun/Riviera Maya were basically garbage compared to Coz. Fewer choices of distant dive shops, tons of resort courses for college kids, etc. Anyone know if that's still the case? When we go somewhere together, I generally get 2-3 1/2 days to dive in a week. Would it even be worth bringing my gear? Someone with 21st century experience in the region, help me out.

You might have better luck posting in the Mexico Forum Mexico

Only place in Riviera Maya I've dived is Puerto Morelos, back in 2010. It was fun diving with my wife for 3 days. The wreck of the C56, Juan Escutia was a nice dive with a squadron of Eagle Rays. Several of the reef dives were quite nice.

Welcome to the forum! I believe there is more diving in the area these days, including some shark dives, but I can't say overall how it compares to Cozumel.

Hey, all! Haven't been on the board in a dog's age, but need some advice. The wife (non-diver) and I were looking for a getaway next month, and I was thinking Coz. I haven't been there since '98, but I remember it fondly. I left the room for twenty minutes, and when I came back, she's researching resorts on the Riviera Maya.

What I remember from 20 years ago is, aside from the cenote diving, ocean diving around Cancun/Riviera Maya were basically garbage compared to Coz. Fewer choices of distant dive shops, tons of resort courses for college kids, etc. Anyone know if that's still the case? When we go somewhere together, I generally get 2-3 1/2 days to dive in a week. Would it even be worth bringing my gear? Someone with 21st century experience in the region, help me out.

I have lived in Playa del Carmen for the past 4 years. No doubt that Cozumel is the prime diving spot in the area. But there are loads of options available. I mostly dive on the Playa side as there are at least 12 different dive site from 25' to 100' including the wall at Pared Verde, Los Arcos, as well as the Mama Viña wreck. The cenotes are amazing including The Pit which goes down to 100'. We also take the fast boat over to Cozumel, which is a National Park for great diving especially Palancar Reef and Palancar Caves. Yesterday in Coz, the visibility was incredible, slight current, and we witnessed a nurse shark, huge turtles, and the largest Spotted Eagle Ray i've ever see. Only a short 30 minute run from Playa direct to the reef. I would recommend staying in Playa, hooking up with Tank-Ha Dive Shop in advance and select what you want to do. There's plenty to do for your wife if she chooses not to dive. Equipment can be rented at a reasonable price or bring your own.

I started diving on Cozumel in the mid 80's, and continued that as my primary destination up into the early 2000's.

Around 2005, we decided to try diving the Riviera Maya, and chose Puerto Aventuras as a destination, and Dive Aventuras as a dive shop.

We've been back at least a dozen times (or more), and will be there this May.

As the OP points out, one of the attractions has been access to the cenotes, but we have also come to really appreciate the ocean diving.

The reefs are very healthy and diver friendly. As opposed to other Riviera Maya destinations, PA has a marina which makes boarding the dive boat much easier than the surf access at others. Dive Aventuras is a long established highly professional operation, offering expert dive guides for both cenote and open water diving.

PA is also centrally located with respect to other tourist attractions. You are minutes between Playa del Carmen and Tulum, and everything in between.

We usually stay in a condo in the PA compound, as we live to cook for ourselves, but there are both traditional and all-inclusive hotels in the area as well.

PM me if you'd like more info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom