Diving Safely as We Age

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Benign (mostly shallow) dives-- which is what I've mostly done since I started at 51 (am 62). I have thrown in the odd 120' one from a charter maybe once a year. If you're old enough to be worried, you're most likely retired. So, why dive in rough surf, surge today when tomorrow is calm? Cold bothers me a little more now, but I think that's due to being 11 years in Nova Scotia after a lifetime of minus 30 up North. Could be age, but growing up in NY until age 23 I hated cold water. Think it's what your body gets used to as opposed to age.

The problem with the blanket statements of the "four conditions" (not conditioned, general health, Hypothermia, DCI) is that they are so interconnected.

Older people tend to let themselves go (not conditioned) and they tend to carry more body fat. DCI likes body fat.

If an older person DOES exercise and does have excellent general health, is the DCI still more severe?

I completely believe in annual checkups along with all this, so any problems can be identified early and handled.

a man has got to know his limitations!
Or more importantly, a diver should constantly reevaluate their limitations. :D

Recently, I had the pleasure of teaching a 72 yo student my trim, buoyancy and propulsion class. In addition to being a bit older than my usual students, he was also hard of hearing and had a tremor. As his buddy for four days, I also felt obliged to evaluate his limits. After all, I really didn't want to be in a rescue situation, myself.

The pool session was incredibly enlightening. With his hearing aids out, I had to exercise patience and become very creative in how I communicated with him. We did surprisingly well. Yes, there were times he indicated that he 'understood' something when he did not. That's pretty typical among the hard of hearing. So, add persistence to my patience and creativity, but the man really wanted to learn and that was huge. He was intent on mastering his Scuba skills.

His buoyancy and trim were surprisingly good. We spent most of the time working on his frog kick and building up his confidence. It was obvious that he didn't know just how accomplished he had become. It seems he practices in a pool two or three times a week as part of his fitness regimen, so he really had a lot of time in. Of course, age brings with it a loss of suppleness in the joints. He fought me on the frog kick, but as I mentioned before, he was intent on learning it. By the end of three and half hours, he had accomplished in a single session what many divers take two or more sessions to accomplish. Not too shabby! No, he wasn't very fast with his newly acquired frog kick, but you don't need to be. He was having fun. Really, that's the most important thing: he was having fun!

I still wasn't completely convinced and I say that to my shame. The next day we went to do a shore dive off of Cannon Beach in Pennekamp Park as is my normal practice. Wow. He nailed every skill I threw at him. It was at this point that I realized that he did not have his AOW. I suggested that we slightly shift gears and he could get an actual card. I was more and more impressed and I pushed him plenty to see just how resilient he was. I wasn't disappointed. The next two days we dove the Speigel Grove, which is no slouch dive. He was awesome! I approached the captain about the same time he was approaching me. He had seen the age and was a bit apprehensive as well. I made sure he understood my student's limitations, especially getting him up the ladder. They were prepared to take all of his gear, but he only gave up his weights. There were no surprises, no incidents and you know what? He had a lot of fun and he became an inspiration to me.

Let's face it. Getting old certainly beats the alternative, but it's not for wimps. My student was up front and honest with me about all of his limitations. Consequently, I was able to adjust our diving and get the boat to adjust their protocol to enable him to do what he came to do: Have fun! There was simply no guessing on my part either. I took care to get to know him and his needs. He was my one and only concern, and I hope that showed. No, he didn't have the stamina of a 30 year old, but then neither do I. He has the passion of a teenager, make no doubt about that, and that made all the difference to me. He might have come to the Keys as a student, but he certainly left a friend. I wish all my students were more like him.

Being 63 years old, open water certification in 1994. An ideal dive is a calm sea, warm water about 30 to 60 ft. Love to take pictures, see fish, coral and the occasional artifact. There is no place on earth more mentally and physically relaxing then underwater. A few months back, there was a lady in her 70', the dive master said she had more logged dives then all others including the DMs on the boat and all over the world.

Last edited:
Good suggestions. As a 70 year old diver I mostly dive 60-90 fsw unless in the keys or need to look for a tooth but take that easy. Follow most of the suggestions except " longer surface intervals." In NC the SI, unless you are doing a short dive, is set by the boat.

I can't resist jumping in on this discussion. I'm the 72 year old that "NetDoc" trained a couple of weeks ago and discussed earlier in this thread. First, Pete, thanks for the kind words they are very appreciated.

First a little background. On my 70th birthday I did a discovery dive in Isla Mujeres, Mexico. It was a Bucket List item to be checked off and forgotten. But once I sank on that first reef, I was hooked. Drifting weightless through the water watching the amazing creatures was one of the most relaxing, exhilarating, beautiful things I had ever done. I returned to Montana signed up for Scuba Classes and received my OW certification the week I turned 71.

My first dive trip was to Bonaire. It became obvious that although I had demonstrated the skills in the OW class, I was a long ways away from being a competent diver. Fortunately I teamed up with a great instructor/divemaster who worked with me during the week and I had a great time but really lacked confidence.

I returned home and acquired a basic SCUBA gear. Made arrangements to practice at a local fitness center and began to practice. I purchased a gopro and put it on the bottom of the pool so I could review my buoyancy and trim. Gradually things got better and better.

My next trip was to Isla Mujeres. Most of the dives were No Current, 30-40 feet dives. I did make one wreck dive to 75 feet accompanied by a divemaster buddy. At his point I had 25 ocean dives and and about 40 pool dives. I still was not convinced that I would make a "Good Buddy" for another diver. That made me very concerned.

I returned from that trip with a great desire to become a good diver. I did several things:
1- Scheduled a complete physical to check my overall heath.
2- Increased my exercise including donning a full scuba unit with tank and walk around the block to strenghten my ability to get up the boat ladder.
3- Keep practicing in the pool to get trim horizontal.
4- Signed up to NutraSystems and jettisoned 50 lbs of boipreen.
5- Find a school or mentor to provide me feedback on my skill development. That's when I called "NetDoc".

That's what brought me to the Key Largo and Pete "NetDoc" Murray.

Some specific things that I took away from our time together:

1- Pete took all the time necessary to provide the instruction I needed. I really enjoyed our discussions where he explained the WHY as well as the HOW of a specific technique. His teaching methodology is excellent. At each step I understood How, Why and had a visual picture of what was to be done. Then he watched and gently corrected one item at a time until I could feel the proper way to do a technique.
2- Pete did wonders for my confidence. He put me in situations where I could demonstrate to both him and myself the skills that I possessed. When he saw a weakness we worked on it until both of us were comfortable. I never felt I was doing a check off, rather I was mastering a skill and attitude.
3- Pete asked hard, open ended questions and allowed me time to work through the answers. Rather than giving me the answers he asked more questions to guide my thinking.
4- Pete is one heck of a lot of fun. I had a blast on all our dives.
5- I now believe I have the skills and confidence to be a "Good Buddy".

To anyone who has a chance to attend NetDoc's training I can only say. DO IT. It was a truly wonderful 4 days. I'm honored to call Pete "NetDoc" Murray a friend. I will be back.

Where do I go from here? I'm going back to Isla Mujeres in October for a week of shallow, warm dives. Before I go I plan to spend many hours in the pool to really learn to frog kick. My motion works but it is inefficient and awkward.

I know my age, I intend on being very conservative and dive as long as I can.

I can't resist jumping in
:D These five words are the best description of Hyrum anyone could ever give! :D

As we get older, some of us tend to hold back a bit more and more. We allow our issues to develop into problems to the point they incapacitate us. We become willingly disabled without putting up much of a fight. This is why Hyrum has inspired me so. Can you imagine walking around the block with your tank and BC on to get in shape? That's commitment to not allowing your age to impede you any more than it has to. I'm a @DiveHeart instructor/trainer with Jim Elliot. I love to work with physically and mentally challenged divers. I double dog, no triple dog dare you to call them disabled. It's like the Army slogan: "Improvise, adapt and overcome!" Certainly, it's wise to know and even to reevaluate your limitations. But just don't blindly accept them. Figure out how to improvise, adapt and overcome! I do it on every Diveheart dive and even quadriplegics get to "jump in".

To make it personal to me: I love to cave dive, but my knees don't like walking two big tanks on my back into the water. Ergo, I built a tank cart and dive sidemount. I've even taken up diving a rebreather so I can continue the dives I want to do. I'm not going into my sixties quietly or worrying about my dignity. I've been diving since 1969 and feel that my best dives are still in front of me. I'm not going to let those aches and pains disable me. Just like Hyrum, I'm going to improvise, adapt and overcome. In other words: I can't resist jumping in! :D

72, been Diving since 10 years old, 16 years Navy Diver still Dive every chance I get. Never smoked, drink very little. Been Diving 32% Nitrox using air tables last 10 years. Now limit dives to 90 ft. Been bent twice. Once Navy once 10 years ago. logged over 9k dives not counting Navy Dives. Hope to be buried in my 7 mil wetsuit. I also walk 2 miles every Day. Gotta go weather looking doable here in Pensacola.Here's my last dive retrieving a 44 lb anchor hung in Liberty Ship

Thank you for the article which has provoked reflection. I have read other articles advocating intermediate safety stops.

Sincerely and safe diving

GJS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom