Diving shorts w/pockets or strap on thigh pocket?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Using SB shorts with pockets over my wet and semi-dry suits. Never regret them, especially in tropical water when I really wouldn't know where to stove items.

I am going to give the dolphin TEC holster setup a shot. Seems like half shorts with a belt. I don't like the shorts due to the bulkiness and the drawstring method of keeping them up. Using suspenders crossed my mind.

They are pricey but well worth the cost.

On sale at Apeks 4th Element Online Store $85.
Apeks Tech Shorts

Love mine! One of my club's divers got hung up on the gunwale going over. His reel got caught and it was a bit of a jolt to him. Most of the equipment that I take under is now stowed in my Apeks shorts.

GJS

On sale at Apeks 4th Element Online Store $85.
Apeks Tech Shorts

Love mine! One of my club's divers got hung up on the gunwale going over. His reel got caught and it was a bit of a jolt to him. Most of the equipment that I take under is now stowed in my Apeks shorts.

GJS

Yes, that's why I want as much as possible stowed in some pockets without too many danglies. I like the Apex shorts but they do look a bit on the long side. Are you finding them bulky at all? Also, how is the tie around the waist... do they stay on well or slide around?

Waist is not tied; there are two closing mechanisms that give it a sturdy feel: 2 velcro closures on the sides, and pinch closure on the front. Not long at all on me even though I am 5' 6". They are solid and stay on well.

See the review that describes the features better than I:

GJS

Waist is not tied; there are two closing mechanisms that give it a sturdy feel: 2 velcro closures on the sides, and pinch closure on the front. Not long at all on me even though I am 5' 6". They are solid and stay on well.

See the review that describes the features better than I:

GJS

Thanks - Just realized you had mentioned this in an earlier post as well.

I use the Apex Tech Shorts....they fit great, better than any other brand I have tried. They have multiple adjustment straps/velcros. They are pricey but well worth the cost.

Other cheaper brands fit very poorly.

I have to agree here. They are expensive, but I haven't found any others that, when I am wearing my fusion drysuit don't slide down. I've tried the XS-Scuba, Scubapro and one other brand I can't remember the name of. The others don't seem to fit high enough in the back. When I came out the water I looked like a kid with their pants hanging down. If it wasn't for the crotch strap they would have come completely down and tripped me. I am just glad I was associated with a good shop that let's me try out new gear, so my experiment didn't cost me much.

I have concluded my initial useage of the ist holster type pocket pants.

They are actually very secure between the webbing type waist belt and the wide neoprene / Velcro leg straps. The pockets are secured by zippers rather than Velcro. I did not notice the pockets twisting like you would experience by a leg strap only individual pocket.

However, they suffer from a substantial storage limitation in comparison to xsscuba and the like pocket shorts. The pockets on the 1st holster pants are probably on 50% of the volume of the conventional pocket shorts.

Whether this is an individual limitation is another question. YMMV, but they are definitely too small for a wide 6 foot tech DSMB and 150 ft reel. A recreational smb and 70 foot finger spool is ok. A spare mask and defog is also ok.

I did find them very handy for carrying smaller items including tools and fasteners for work underneath the boat. They are also much, much more streamlined than conventional shorts which could be of interest to many.

Last edited:
I have been using Highlands for a little bit now and am happy with them; was concerned they may slide down but have not experienced that; definitely handy with a bp/w setup.

I need some extra storage space for safety spools, spare mask, slates, etc. As I dive in a wetsuit with a BP&W, I was considering either diving shorts with cargo pockets or the thigh pockets that can be strapped/glued around the thigh. I'm not crazy about adding the extra neoprene and buoyancy that the shorts add (although negligible) and am leaning more towards the thigh pocket.

Anyone have any experience with either of these items? Feedback appreciated

cheers.
i've had plenty of experience with pockets and had no problem with the thigh-strapped ones and the one that I had the most experience & success with was a Dive rite , but nothing wrong with adding a pocket to your exposure suit either, most reliable form of storage i used beyond the bbsckplate's pocket or my dry suit's built in pocket, I would also use a double-ender inside the pocket to clip off anything I'm carrying for reassurance that nothing falls out as it's easy to get a piece of para cord and get a loop inside the pocket through the drainage hole as well if considering adding a pocket to your wetsuit, Ken from BreatheEz scuba in Bridgewater, NJ has tons of experience adding them AND is a BP/W diver himself, you'll figure it out, i can't remember perfectly, but i may have also had a pocket that attached to my harness's belt as well ? the Dive Rite sufficed but frankly i mostly dove with built in thigh pockets on my drumysuit best wishes! have fun! and dive safely!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom