Diving shorts w/pockets or strap on thigh pocket?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone else have any experience with the Mares XR shorts vs. the Apex? There's about a $40 difference and I was curious as to the better pockets. Looks like the Apex have tabs to hold the pockets in, if that's worth anything. Also curious as to the added buoyancy of the Apex.

For the glue-on pockets, do you think that you could remove and reuse the pockets when the life of the wetsuit has worn out??
I have peeled off a DUI pocket from a couple of wetsuits after they wore out. I had my dive shop glue them on so I'm not sure what glue they used. Just needed to get one corner up then peel - takes some effort.

Military BDUs/ACUs with velcro on the pockets. We used them all the time in the military.
I was just thinking the same. Also thought about using the old M16 mag pouches.

DGX sells a pretty decent variety of pockets, some fairly inexpensive ( a couple from Mares and from DGX are as low as $25).
BC Accessory Pockets | Dive Gear Express®
They have the glue-on type, and those that attach either vertically, or horizontally (with some having loops that allow both methods). From what I've read, once the glue-on type are properly attached, they're extremely secure and aren't going anywhere without a fight. I believe the common wetsuit glue is what's used.
Rather than the bulky, boxy M16 magazines, it just now occured to me that you might could make your own dive/cargo shorts, on the cheap, with a pair of extra-large BDU pants, cut off above the knee. Most of them are a light, fast-drying, rip-stop material, with very large side pockets. I don't see why they wouldn't work as well as the big-name units, and save you $100+ bucks ! The more I think about it, the more I'm digging the idea, LOL!! :D

I built my own strap-on cargo pocket set with OMS pockets suspended from a weight belt. Worked OK for a while but my mates were all in shorts and they seemed much more convenient. I broke down and bought a pair of the Apeks shorts from England where they are gobs cheaper than in the USA. Great shorts that fit wet notes, 30m and 45m spools, two full size DSMBs, spare light, etc. Even though they’re a big improvement, they still droop a little by the end of the dive. I’m thinking I’ll try some outdoor suspenders to see if that solves matters.

I am also in the glue on pocket camp.

DW

I have the scuba pro dive shorts.
Not my photos but used on about 130 dives.

Nothing much to say. They're comfortable. Hold a lot of gear.

The pocket bungee loop is not starting to fray at the point where it is connected to the pocket.

Any ideas on to repair that?

upload_2020-12-25_10-20-23.png

m_5c6db8ca04e33d0be1cada00.jpg

m_5c6db8ccf63eead2af02ae64.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2020-12-25_10-20-20.png
    upload_2020-12-25_10-20-20.png
    286.5 KB · Views: 101
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom