Diving Similan and Richelieu Rock in March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

igneous

Registered
Reaction score
Im looking to do a liveaboard in the beginning of March, and from my research so far it seems like Similans, Koh Bon, Koh Tachai and Richelieu Rock trips are the way to go for me. I'm hoping to see some manta rays and as much sea life as possible, and would appreciate any tips. I'm going to be in Myanmar for the last 3 weeks of february, then hopefully laos for a week or so after this dive trip in march. It seems like most flights are through bangkok, so I'm trying to position this to be as cheap and painless as possible. From what I saw, most boats go out from between ranong and phuket right? Any thoughts about getting down here from Bangkok(or myanmar if better)? I dont think the lower area of myanmar(like myeik) are in my plans at the moment.
I'm a female and going to be on my own as well, if that matters. I'm advanced open water nitrox.
These boats seem to be pretty decent:
Similan Liveaboard - Dolphin Queen
Bavaria
Any suggestions or ideas about better liveaboard options would be amazing thanks!

There is NO way you can cover Vientiane, Vang Vieng, Xieng Khouang(Plain of Jars) and Luang Prabang in a week. Take the overnight train from Bangkok to Nong Khai and Vientiane is NOT that far away across the Mekong. Work your way up to Luang Prabang and then a slow boat to Huay Xai and cross over to Northern Thailand in Chiang Khong. Chiang Rai is 3hrs away and Chiang Mai is another 3-4hrs by bus.

laos is far from a sure thing, depends on my desire and if I need to get back to the US to work :eek:

laos is far from a sure thing, depends on my desire and if I need to get back to the US to work :eek:
You will be kicking yourself for not visiting Laos when it is literally right on your door step.
You should take extra time off if that is possible.
I don't recall Burma being expensive but that was 26yrs ago.

Go to Laos. It's well worth the effort imo. You can fly to Luang Prabang and Phuket via Bangkok.

I'll be there in a few weeks. 5 day Similans live aboard ....Cant wait!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom