Diving/Snorkling Cenotes with my 2 kids

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gangpae

New
Reaction score
I'm headed to Playa del Carmen and Cozumel in April. My 2 boys ages 11 and 13 are beginner junior open water divers. We have a couple of days diving Cozumel planned. I also wanted them to have a Cenote experience.

I found one dive operator who offered a cavern dive at Ponderosa. I mentioned I may not even want my boys to enter the cavern as they are inexperienced. I found another dive operator who said no cavern dives for junior divers.

- Are there any cenote dives that are still worth doing if you don't enter the cavern that would be appropriate?

- Any recommendations for cenote dive operators at playa who would do this sort of thing?

- Any recommendations on which cenote to snorkel for kids? My current top pick is Dos Ojos.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

I just went with these guys last week:

CenoteXperience - Cavern, Cave and Ocean Diving in Playa del Carmen Yucatan Mexico - Home

Amazing divers. Nicco and his brother own the business. My avatar was taken in Dos Ochos Cenote. It is a long, but shallow swim through. Average depth is about 18 feet. I also dived The Pit, and although it goes down to about 107 ft, Dos Ochos is better.

You can snorkel there, just make sure you go right off the launch and not left. There are clearly marked signs.

Cool story behind those cenotes, they were only discovered about 50 years ago. Nicco and his team are currently mapping and running line in new areas.

I won't tell you anymore, but there is a lot of cool info, don't want to ruin the experience.

I snorkeled Dos Ojos on my first trip to the area at age 19 and really enjoyed it. I recently dived there as a new OW diver and loved that too. But if you can't find an operator willing to take the kids on the dive, or you decide they aren't ready, the snorkeling expedition is great.

ETA: Also, a number of tour operators going to Chichen-Itza stop at Ik-kil cenote, which is a big open pit with beautiful tree roots hanging down; it's great for just swimming.

I'm headed to Playa del Carmen and Cozumel in April. My 2 boys ages 11 and 13 are beginner junior open water divers. We have a couple of days diving Cozumel planned. I also wanted them to have a Cenote experience.

I found one dive operator who offered a cavern dive at Ponderosa. I mentioned I may not even want my boys to enter the cavern as they are inexperienced. I found another dive operator who said no cavern dives for junior divers.

- Are there any cenote dives that are still worth doing if you don't enter the cavern that would be appropriate?

- Any recommendations for cenote dive operators at playa who would do this sort of thing?

- Any recommendations on which cenote to snorkel for kids? My current top pick is Dos Ojos.

Thanks in advance for any insight!
Garden of Eden/Jardin del Eden/Ponderosa pretty much hits all your checkpoints. Ponderosa is a nice cavern dive and you enter it from the Garden of Eden cenote, which is good for swimming/snorkeling.

CenoteXperience should be able to arrange a trip for you, they are good people.

This is Garden of Eden from part of the rim.

The entrance to Ponderosa is to the left of the German divers here.

Doj Ojos is pretty cool also, but usually crowded. CenoteXperience usually does a 2-3 cenote day trip, so you could easily do Ponderosa and Dos Ojos with them, just be sure to schedule in advance.

Cavern Diving | CenoteXperience - Cavern, Cave and Ocean Diving in Playa del Carmen Yucatan Mexico

My son was 14 when he tried cenote diving at Casa Cenote and that was after he had 40 dives experience. He was tested for buoyancy control, equipment removal and donning and other skills before he was allowed to dive in the cenote. I understand why this was done. Casa Cenote is more of an open cenote with a bit of a cavern to it. I thought that this was a good introduction for him. Enjoy your trip and time with your boys.

Thank you for the replies. Decided to do Casa Cenote since it is open. But apparently there is a croc swimming the waters (friendly so they say). My kids seemed OK with that. Will try to write a report when I come back.

Thank you for the replies. Decided to do Casa Cenote since it is open. But apparently there is a croc swimming the waters (friendly so they say). My kids seemed OK with that. Will try to write a report when I come back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom