Diving South Caicos? Is it any good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alucard

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So friends of ours (non-divers... I know!) have been talking about going to South Caicos and wondered if we would like to go with them. Obviously if I am heading to a warm island I want to know what options I have for diving.

So, fellow divers, a few questions:
  • How is the diving there? What types of dives do you do? What sorts of depths? Is there shore diving or just boat diving? Are we talking walls, wrecks, reefs?
  • Who are the best dive ops on the island? What sorts of things should I look out for when talking to them?
  • Where should I stay on island to get the most convenient options?
I would be interested in hearing your experiences - if you already posted a Trip Report, I would love a link - SB seems to slow for me these days - takes me a long while to find anything.

Thanks in advance!

I don't have a lot to contribute, but I guess more than you've gotten so far. We did a live aboard long ago to Grand Turk, South Caicos, and Salt Cay. And day boats from Provo on the same trip, mostly to West Caicos. South Caicos was the highlight of the trip. This is mostly because of a dive site we kept repeating that had a constant stream of eagle rays and reef sharks. The was probably other good stuff, but we never got to it because everyone was hooked on watching the pelagic parade, and possibly there were not suitable moorings for a liveaboard at many sites.

There is not much there as far as tourist infrastructure. Only a few accomodations and places to eat. Which is fine if that's what you are looking for. I have thought about going back. The question over the years has generally seemed to be not "which is the best dive shop" but rather "is there one currently?" There appears to be one now, but you'd have to check on its actual status.

South Caicos is spectacular diving. Slim Pickens on accomodation/diving. Give Sailrock a call and see who's currently running dive charters. I have a house on GT, absolutely go.

Reef Divers just announced they are opening up in south Caicos this August

I was just coming over to post this. Does anybody have any insight as to whether this is just Reef Divers taking over operation of the dive operations there? Or did the Tibbetts family buy the whole resort?

The Tibbetts family have bought the East Bay Resort on South Caicos, see below:
Cayman dive business shifting to Turks and Caicos - Cayman Compass

Cayman dive business shifting to Turks and Caicos
By
James Whittaker
-
July 7, 2021
reefdivers2-696x392.png

Reef Divers boats ready for the 34-hour crossing.

Next month, the bulk of the remaining staff and crew of Cayman’s Reef Divers will load up four boats and make the 520 nautical mile, 34-hour ocean crossing to set up shop in Turks and Caicos.

After 16 months without any overseas guests in Cayman, eight staff will join the “Reef Divers armada”, refuelling from portable totes, as they travel to a new outpost.

“We have to go where the tourists are,” said Michael Tibbetts, owner of the business, which is expanding its horizons beyond the Cayman Islands as a survival strategy amid the ongoing impact of COVID-19 and the border closure.

reefdivers-225x300.png

Reef Divers – the diving arm of Clearly Cayman resorts – will transport four of its 12 boats to set up shop in South Caicos.

The parent business, JEM Worldwide, which has operations on all three Cayman islands, has bought East Bay Resort on South Caicos island. Tibbetts said expansion beyond Cayman’s borders had always been part of the long term vision, but had become an immediate necessity in the past year.

Visitors that were booked to visit the Cayman dive resorts will be redirected to the South Caicos operation for the time being, he said.

Tibbetts said the decision to invest elsewhere was accelerated based on short and long term fears over the future of the tourism industry in Cayman.

He said he had sold land in Cayman and shelved plans to expand his resorts here in order to focus on the Turks and Caicos project.

Tibbetts, as a multi-generational Caymanian, says he is committed his homeland, but the business has to diversify to survive.

“We are as committed as we can be, but we have to make a business decision and go where we can generate revenue,” he said.

“We are losing millions in our Cayman operations and we certainly will not have a chance to stay in business if we don’t look to operate elsewhere.”

East-Bay-Resort-1-300x143.png

The new resort in East Bay, South Caicos island.

Jason Belport, executive vice president of the business, which includes Little Cayman and Cayman Brac Beach Resorts and Cobalt Coast in West Bay, said multiple guests had vacations cancelled two or three times since March last year and were beginning to become frustrated.

He said the business, which operates under the name Clearly Cayman Resorts, had loyal customers who typically returned for dive trips year-after-year.

“They are out of patience. If we don’t get them in the water soon we are going to lose them.”

Acquiring the new property in Turks and Caicos gives the business an option to cater to its clientele without losing them as repeat customers that may ultimately return to Cayman, he added.

Belport said dive businesses rely on group travel which is often booked well in advance.

Although measures may be announced soon about reopening Cayman, as the island inches towards its vaccination target, he said the lack of a clear schedule was already harming potential business for next year.

“When we do reopen we may find people have already booked somewhere else,” he added.

“We have regular guests wanting to book for 2022 and 2023 and they are going elsewhere.”

Brad Barnett, president of JEM, said guests were taking out their frustrations about the border reopening on the business. He said tourists had initially been understanding of Cayman’s policy on reopening but were now beginning to become impatient and even angry.

Tibbetts said being in more than one location would give his business the versatility to survive future potential shocks to the industry.

The resort JEM Worldwide has acquired in South Caicos currently has 40 rooms and will eventually expand to 120 rooms. Tibbetts said the TCI government had been supportive of the project and the island is currently experiencing record tourism levels.

The Cayman Islands government is seeking to ensure as many people as possible are vaccinated before reopening the borders for tourism. Currently vaccinated people can visit with a four-day quarantine period. Restrictions are expected to be eased further as the proportion of vaccinated people on island increases.

An estimated 64% of the island’s population has currently had both doses of the Pfizer vaccine. But the rate of new vaccinations has slowed considerably with fewer than 200 people receiving their first jab since the latest batch arrived on island mid June.

Excellent news! The Tibbett’s run a first-class operation.I will plan a visit as soon as they are ready to accept guests.

Completely understandable.
For sure - the Cayman COVID tourism reopening plan is a joke. They are certainly entitled to do as they see fit - but I’m glad to see this happening as it will hopefully send a message (and open up a new dive location) before the rest of the dive ops in the Caymans go under!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom