Diving South Florida in September or October.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have a chance to get to the land of the banned scubaboarders (West Palm Beach) either September or possibly in October. I haven’t booked any dates yet but I have airline credits so there’s flexibility. I wanted to check here first to see which is the better month.
The wife and I are going to visit friends in Loxahatche. I’m going to bring my gear and I want to hit one of the boats while I’m there.
Any advice on either of those months, and which boat, any shore diving (Blue Heron Bridge)?
Do I need a thin wetsuit at all?
I’m used to 50 degree water diving wet.
I might even be able to bring a handfull of the new aluminum plates if anyone is interested? Maybe do a meet and greet somewhere?

Just opened my logbook so I can speak to Jupiter water temp. In and around Juno Ledge Oct 1,2017 was 82F, Nov 4 was 79F, Nov 12 was 80F, Nov 26 was 75F Dec 2 was 79 and Dec 16 was 77F. Full 3 mil. I dove a 3mil all winter only sometimes wearing a hood as temps got down to 72. I am one of those people who don't get cold easily.

Everyone's tolerance to cold is different. When I lived in northern Palm Beach County, I wore a 3 mil in Sept and Oct but you'll see plenty of people in board shorts too. Temps should be low 80's or high 70's.

My favorite ride is Jupiter Dive Center (just went out with them a few weeks ago on a return visit and had a great time), but there are lots of other good operators. Many have changed hands since I moved away two years ago, but I believe Stuart Scuba has the same owner as does Pura Vida and Scuba Works. All have good reputations. I've heard people like Narcosis's (sp?) and Scuba Adventures new owners. Another option is to call Force E on Blue Heron Blvd and they can set you up on almost any boat. They act as a broker, you just tell them the type of dive you want and they can find a ride.

Sept and Oct are usually really good times to dive. Not too many tourists in town since schools are back in session, the snow birds haven't migrated yet, the marine conditions are normally pretty good and the water us warm.

If you make it farther south.. my October low temps were 88/89F and September was 90/92F on beach dives. (60-100) fsw boat dives were mid 80-'s. I was usually in a 1mil. It started dropping in November. Blue Heron is cool if the stars line up right for the day that you want to dive. LBTS is also cool for an easy beach dive and photo ops. Personally i prefer Oakland park if you don't mind a short walk in gear from the parking lot. The reef there seems a bit more populated. Also chair 17 and chair 19 farther south on a1a can be interesting on the way to the ledge drift. On a boat, pretty much any dive i've made with sfl diving headquarters has been solid. They usually hit all the popular wrecks and reefs. I've really had no experience north of broward,

As above, Sept would likely be better for Goliath Grouper aggregation. You might want to see if you can get out to the Castor from Boynton Harbor Marina with Underwater Explorers, Loggerhead, or Starfish

I would watch the weather. That time of year can be awesome, the best diving ever, or it can be... a hurricane. Have two dive plans, one for the ocean, one for the springs.

September in WPB is just like Las Vegas. If you dive with 200 volkswagen sized Goliaths, catch a couple of fresh dinner lobsters, get buzzed by bull sharks and return home with a suntan then that's a jackpot. There are also closeby bail out plans like Key Largo, BHB, the springs, and Venice Gulfside shark tooth dives.

I'll roll the dice for as early in September as possible.

Be warned @Eric Sedletzky if the ocean is blown out and you wind up diving the springs you may end up disappointed. They are not as large and beautiful as they look in pictures, and there is little life in them. The first time I went in a spring (Troy) I thought, that's it? Wet rocks? I had to refocus my idea of them to realize they are the BEST TRAINING POOLS EVER. So if you are headed to the springs if there is any training you've longed to do or gear you've longed to check out, include that. At Ginnie Springs you can go in a cavern with just an OW cert. The most interesting life in the springs is 1)Cave Divers all geared out headed in or out of the caves and 2) goose bumpy teenagers in bikinis. The dive shops are fun to visit too, and the dive community is great!

I have a chance to get to the land of the banned scubaboarders (West Palm Beach) either September or possibly in October. I haven’t booked any dates yet but I have airline credits so there’s flexibility. I wanted to check here first to see which is the better month.
The wife and I are going to visit friends in Loxahatche. I’m going to bring my gear and I want to hit one of the boats while I’m there.
Any advice on either of those months, and which boat, any shore diving (Blue Heron Bridge)?
Do I need a thin wetsuit at all?
I’m used to 50 degree water diving wet.
I might even be able to bring a handfull of the new aluminum plates if anyone is interested? Maybe do a meet and greet somewhere?

Eric:

I typically dive a 3/2 in winter down there. I have a pretty good tolerance for cold. In September I would be in a shorty or just trunks. I agree with the posters who said to try to time your trip to coincide with the Goliath aggregation. I would also make sure to do a couple of dives on the BHB. If you time your trip right, you could get in a night dive at BHB. I have never been in WPB at the right time to do a night dive but I hear it is fantastic. In September dates for night are the 8th and the 23rd. In October they are the 7th and 23rd. Blue Heron Bridge at Phil Fosters Park Dive Schedule

I may go in early September for the Goliaths and the night dive. I would be happy to meet up somewhere and have a dive or just a burger and beer.

I sent you an email inquiring about an aluminum plate earlier in the week. I am wanting it for FL ocean diving. Using steel tanks and little or no wet suit, the AL plate would be much better than the SS plate I have.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom