Diving South Florida in September or October.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have almost been separated from a buddy who was carry a flag because I could almost not keep up as they had the “water skiing” type boost of flag drag! If you’re the flag bearer please look back and be aware. We wound up switching it back and forth to share the speed...

Yes it can.... I've shot up my safety sausage on a reel from depth when the current was stronger on the surface and took off like a bullet

Hey!,,,quit posting our secret lobster hunting tips on how to 'out-swim' the other lobster hunters so you get to the best spots 1st. Just shoot your SMB at the beginning of the dive if you find the surface current faster than the bottom current. It will literally drag you down the bug line.

I LOVE ripping currents, and ducking in/hiding in blowout holes to grab bugs. Just hook off or loop-off on a rock to hold your line. It also makes the boat captain happy because your float will go slightly under water and that means you are catching lobster and it's a very good dive.

Steel 100’s are great, and nitrox too!
120’s may be more than I want to lug around but certainly not out of the question. No such thing as too much gas right?

I think 100s filled with nitrox are the perfect cylinder for the Jupiter drift dives. The 120s are a little big and heavy but as you say having a little extra gas isn't a bad thing. I dive them using the VDH plate and wing in order to keep things as light as possible. I don't use the Kraken with them as it really moves weight too low with the valve in the proper position for a double hose.

I also have a 72 stashed down there for the bridge dives. It's absolutely perfect for those conditions with the Kraken. Unfortunately, the dive shop near the bridge will not fill it. They told me it was too old. It has a current hydro and vis. They said it is shop policy that they will not fill any old tanks due to "bad alloy". No amount of discussion about aluminum vs steel was going to change their position. I now get all my fills in Vero Beach where my parents condo is. The shop there is happy to take my money.

If shooting bags is mandatory in FL then I’ll have to dig out my SMB and dust it off. We don’t use them too much around here if ever. I’ll need to upgrade my spool and get my trip together on that. I have an old reel I use but I heard finger spools are what everyone uses now? What are people using for spools these days?
And being minimal, I’ll have to figure a way to stow it. I don’t do pockets on my thighs, but I do have waist belt bags for stowage.

Eric: if you plan to stick with the in water DM who is totting the surface flag, you won't need to worry about using the SMB. Many people don't stick with the DM.... locals almost always shoot the SMB on a reel from depth when they are ready to come up and aren't with the DM. While I don't advise it, some divers (mostly tourists) will surface and then inflate their SMB if they are separated from the DM. Shooting from death allows other boats to know your coming up and gives your boat captain more time to locate you.

Is shooting a sausage from depth mandatory....probably not, though its a good skill to have when drift diving

Eric: if you plan to stick with the in water DM who is totting the surface flag, you won't need to worry about using the SMB. Many people don't stick with the DM.... locals almost always shoot the SMB on a reel from depth when they are ready to come up and aren't with the DM. While I don't advise it, some divers (mostly tourists) will surface and then inflate their SMB if they are separated from the DM. Shooting from death allows other boats to know your coming up and gives your boat captain more time to locate you.

Is shooting a sausage from depth mandatory....probably not, though its a good skill to have when drift diving
I used to do it all the time way back when but it’s been a while. I’ll have to go out and practice a little. Even If I stick with a DM I’d still like to have the stuff and use it if need be.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom