Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FilmDork

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone!

New member and first time poster here. Planning to head to SE Asia this August for a couple weeks of amazing diving fun. Last year I did a liveaboard in the Komodo National Park. It was amazing and I plan to go again, but I'd also like to check out some other destinations in the region and would love to hear everyone's thoughts on where I should look. I've heard Sipadan is great but there seem to be some concerns about safety and getting dive permits. I've also heard Layang Layang is pretty memorable but I'm worried that it may not be so great that late in the summer. Atauro Island has also been floated as a possibility.

I guess what I'm asking is: Where would you recommend diving in SE Asia for the month of August? Any tips or thoughts on where I should be looking would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, and glad to be here!

1. I won't bother with Layang Layang and Aug is definitely too late for the hammerhead.
2. The northern tip of Sulawesi particularly to those who love macro. Banga, Bunaken and Lembeh should keep you happy for couple of wks if not longer!

Hi there,

There are a lot of great options for August in Asia, but many of them are in Indonesia. If you aren’t opposed to exploring another region of that huge island country, here’s what we suggest:

1. Nusa Penida (near Bali) - Super easy to get to from Bali’s airport, Nusa Penida is one of the most predictable places to see mola mola. August is usually the best month, but they are already there this year. We hope they will stick around until August.

2. Raja Ampat - August is still Komodo season, but some boats stay in Raja Ampat all year long. The diving is still great. You might look at the MV Raja Ampat Explorer or the Pearl of Papua if this sounds good to you. Some of the itineraries will visit Cenderawasih Bay this time of year, which offers epic whale shark encounters.

3. Unique Indonesia Itineraries - Because August is in between seasons for many liveaboards, you can find some really cool trips during which the boats are relocating. Here are some of our favorites:
a. KLM Sunshine - Togian Islands and Una Una
b. Sea Safari VI - Lembeh - Sangihe Talaud - Lembeh
c. KM Raja Manta - Lembeh - Bangka - Sangihe
d. Raja Ampat Aggressor - Derawan Island

4. Philippines - While August isn’t Tubbataha season, you can still find wonderful diving in the Philippines. In particular, Cebu and Malapascua are good choices. The Philippine Siren offers an itinerary this month covering several great destinations.

5. Sipadan - Finally, back to what you suggested originally. Sipadan does have its concerns recently, but the solution to both is to book a liveaboard. That way, you’ll have the safety of being on the water and the assurance of dive permits built into the trip. The MV Celebes Explorer offers 3 or 4 night trips in August.

hope this gives you a few options. We’d be happy to answer any questions. In the meantime, happy diving!

Any thoughts on Alor? My friend's heard good things, but I can't seem to find much information.

Alor is definitely an up-and-coming destination for Indonesia. As it’s quite close to Komodo, August is the end of the season in this area and a good time to catch boats traveling between Komodo and Raja Ampat.

There are lots of liveaboards with routes called things like "the Forgotten Islands" or "Maumere to Ambon." These almost always stop in Alor. And because they usually leave from Maumere, the liveaboards make reaching Alor a bit easier.

In addition, some believe that Alor has a similar biodiversity to Raja Ampat with lots of colorful fish and some muck dives. Due to the sparse population, the reefs are in great shape.

If you’re interested in a liveaboard, check out:
- The Maumere to Ambon trip on La Galigo
- The East Flores to Alor trip on Samambaia
- The Maumere Ambon trip on Mutiara Laut

So what more can you tell me about this boat. Since it's fairly new, it's hard to find many reviews on it. Was wondering how experienced the DM's were in the areas they travel.

So far all the feedback we have gotten from the Samambaia has been really good.

In terms of the crew, there is on German PADI/CMAS instructor on board who is also an underwater photographer with 8 years experience diving in Indonesia. There is also a DM with 8 years of Indonesia liveaboard experience as well as 2 other DMs/guides. One has 5 years of experience on liveaboards in the area, while the other is younger but happens to have great eyes for macro life.

I hope that answers your question. Feel free to send over any other questions you may have.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom