Diving St. Johns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KEV -

Still trying to figure out some of the features of the Board. Sorry that feature wasn't activated (though it may be now).

Thanks so much for the great info. My travel agent mentioned that hill top room in particular, but I balked b/c my fiance has a bird phobia. Do the birds come into the room? If not, that might be do-able, and as you say, worth the price.

Thanks again.

EBS,

Guess it depends on how bad the phobia is. There are no windows just two walls wide open, like a huge deck with a tiled floor and 20' high ceilings with beams. Walls are just above waist height and very safe. There are not a lot of birds, unless of course you put food out and then you'll own them :D . They are in the tree's everywhere as that is part of the island. For the most part you will hear them singing but not see them.

They will land on the railing once in a while and if food is on the table (like they leave you fresh fruit and honeymoon basket if they know it is your honeymoon), the birds may dart in once in a while and steal a cracker. For the most part they are more afraid of you. We are talking about small birds, the size of sparrows. But they are there as you are above alot of tree tops.

There are alot of cats in the area so if you left your door open I'm sure they wouldn't mind keeping the birds away for you, for a price of course :wink:. Also birds are common at breakfast time especially when people get up and leave the table and the plates are not cleared (you eat outside). This is common in almost all the Caribbean though, except maybe large hotels... Even Caneel Bay breakfast buffet is outside, covered by a roof.

Guess other most favorite room was at the Le Merridian (Le Domaine side) in St Maartin. Large Ocean view suite, huge tiled and marble room with full jaccuzi, wide open in the room, and double doors openning to a balcony and the ocean (2nd floor, no bottom floors on a honeymoon :wink:). Eating would be downtown at La Rose on the balcony surrounded by roses... reservations must be made many days ahead typically. That was in my bachelor days about 4 years ago but definitely memories! Have heard pro's and con's on Le Merridian but I toured the island and only place I would stay other than there would be maybe La Samanna which is beautiful (not awesome) and I walked around but need a second mortgage on your house to stay there...

Little Dix Bay in Virgin Gorda is another place to look. Sister resort to Caneel Bay but unlike Caneel the grounds are absolutely beautiful and the island very lush. Check out the pictures:
http://www.rosewood-hotels.com/properties/littledixbay/index.html

Would stay there over Caneel any day but have not seen the rooms ($$$). There is a ferry that goes between St. John and Little Dix, Virgin Gorda, $75 each. Anyways you may want to start your own thread as we are getting off topic. Might get alot of other responses from people.

Just be warned the real nice places and rooms book up a year or more ahead sometimes. Anse Chastenet may be pure luck to get it for a couple of days in Cottage #7E. Times have changed some but typically the expensive rooms go first ironically.

Also check out the book "100 Best Resorts of the Caribbean", ISBN #0-7627-0323-7, don't believe everything it says but for the most part will give you some ideas of what other islands have to offer. Anse Chastenet and Little Dix are in it, as is Caneel.

Also check out tripadvisor.com, all 5 stars and good reviews of Little Dix.

Kev

Back
Top Bottom