Diving Tahiti and need help...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jessid28

Registered
Reaction score
My finance and I are planning to honeymoon (March 2016) in Tahiti, mainly for diving, but would like to possibly experience some land excursions as well. Most have posted that Rangiroa has the best diving since other places in the area don't compare for reefs/sea life. There are so many different resorts we are feeling a little overwhelmed. We are not oppose to splitting our honeymoon on different islands since it seems there is a lot offered from different resorts. Any recommendations and/or help is GREATLY appreciated.

Depending on how many days you have to spend in French Polynesia and how many days of diving versus non diving the recommendations would be very different. I just came back from a 15+ diving days there and I certainly can help you. But you need to be more precise in your post. Talk to you later :)

Also important: give me your diver's level and the one of your future spouse. Some areas are not for beginners :(.

Sorry, I didn't mean to be vague lol. We are aiming for at least 10 days, so could split 5 and 5 between islands. I have heard to stay way from TOPDIVE and use other companies. What do you recommend?

He has his advanced and I am working on mine. We aren't set on an exact number of dive days, but probably at least half of our stay will be dive focused. It would be nice to enjoy other aspects of the gorgeous islands. Thanks!

Land Based - Do a circle island tour on Tahiti with Daves or Marama - I usually hate organised tours but time was a constraint so I booked a half day tour (skip the lunch at Paul Gaugin Museum unless you are an art buff) but ended up on a full day - dont be suprised this is quite common in FP, organisation is not always the best. But the tour was great - Tahiti really is a beautiful island. On the tour you will see the Marai's, Waterfalls, Jardins, Blow Holes, Lava Tubes, Cooks observatory and if you are lucky enough to get Rocky as your guide ask him to take you down to Teahupoo (Chopes) and see where the best surfers in the world come to play. Divetahitiblue cater for Padi divers which im assuming you are from your use of AOW and OW. Topdive are also there but I do not like Topdive as a corporate entity so cannot recommend them. The Markets in downtown Papeete are interesting and have pearls for a much more reasonable price than specific pearl sellers. Manava Suites are a relatively nice choice of accomodation on Tahiti as is the Hilton.

Take a ferry across the sea of the moon to Moorea which is a gorgeous island and much overlooked - hire a car and drive around to Cooks bay and Opohuna (Sp?) Bay where cook actually did land. If you want a more ''authentic'' look at life in FP instead of doing a traditional polynesian dance and dinner show which all of the hotels offer, wander up to where the Roulottes (Food trucks) are between the ferry dock and the Moorea Pearl Hotel just past Albert the Tattooists house and you will get a great feed and before long the guitars come out - Polynesians love to eat and dance and laugh. If you choose to drive up Le Belvedere just watch the corners and expect it to be quite squeezy if you are unfortunate enough to encounter the 4 wd bus tour full of cruise shippers coming down while you are going up (or vise versa).

Moorea Pearl is a lovely hotel with great food but I preferred to walk up to the small centre with Caramelline's Patisserie for breakfast every morning. Moorea Pearl dive centre is only open early mornings so contact them by email before you go if you plan on diving Moorea. http://www.mooreabluediving.com/

Tahiti and Moorea make up part of the Society islands group as does Bora Bora but you should aim for the Tuomoto Archipeligo - Rangiroa and Fakarava for the absolutely amazing diving we go there for. On Rangiroa why not stay at a Pension - I can recommend Teina and Marie Pension - right on the lagoon and Marie will feed you until your stomach feels like its going to explode and make you laugh til your ribs hurt. I dive with Rangiroa Plongee but have heard Frank the best DM in Rangi in my opinion has moved to another op recently. The french owned dive centres like to see CMAS cards but will not stop you from diving with Padi Cards. Be honest about your diving level - the pass can be quite a ride.

Two Passengers on Rangiroa are American Owned and I have heard good reports if you prefer a PADI centre.

Fakarava - Dive Spirit or Fakarava Dive Centre although Serge has sold the new owners are apparently very good.

Enjoy your time in FP :)

I second third fourth fifth staying away from Top Dive.

Level of dive please. If you are NOT advanced divers, and not used to dive in STRONG currents, they will not dive in the pass , or barely so. I would choose rather Fakarava than Rangiroa. In Fakarava you will need 6 days in order to do North and South. if you are interested, I can send you the resorts and dive ceters I staied with :). Fakarava is at least as rich as Rangiroa.

I second avoiding top dive on any island. I also think splitting between an island and an atoll will give you the most for your money and time, as they are so different in every way pretty much, and are each beautiful in their own right.

Make sure you are very clear about your dive level and comfort zones, because a drift through the pass at current is not for beginners. However, the reef dives near/on the edge of the pass are wonderful and beautiful and just fine for beginners.

In Fakarava, you won't see dolphin but you will see spectacular coral. In Rangi, you should see dolphin each dive. Tikehau is another option, and is also beautiful with pink coral beaches and you can walk motu to motu. I would dive with Fakarava Dive Center or Dive Spirit on Fakarava, on Rangi, Yaka Plongee or Raie Manta (and I believe Frank was working as DM for RM recently as Yves and Livia, the owners, were out of the country on safari) or on TIkehau, also Raie Manta. If you can get Yves as your DM, then I would choose Raie Manta, but if he is gone, then Yaka Plongee.

I would also choose a pension in Rangi, and our favorite is Tevahine Dream, the owner is beyond helpful and the food is wonderful He will also take you wherever you want to go as well, if you wish, at no cost. He has 3 beach bungalows, and 2 garden ones with lap pools. He has small fridges that actually keep stuff cold in each bungalow, and they are open air and the way he has built and situated them makes it so we were never hot while staying there. There is also a small hotel/pension Rara Lagoon, and those bungalows have AC. They also have a restaurant/bar which sits on the lagoon, so only one bungalow is on the lagoon/beach, the rest are garden bungalows. Both those places are similarly priced. We did stay once at Kia Ora, but it was too resorty and large and kinda felt colt to us. Currently, there are some issues with ownership and they may be bought by some Japanese that were consdering. If bought, I would expect things to improve at Kia Ora. Rangi has the largest variety of restaurants/snack shops to try off resort or off pension, and also has 3 general purpose markets plus a smaller local one that is even open on Sundays generally. The villages are not as pretty as in Fakarava or TIkehau. But they ahve the largest amount of variety.

In Rangi, the blue lagoon excursion is nice, but make sure you take water shoes as you need them in Rangi for sure. There is also reef island excursion you can do.

In Tikehau, we have stayed at Ninamu, Pearl Beach, and RElais royale. Each was nice, but Ninamu is special and consider that with Ninamu's pricing, you get all meals included and pretty much all activities you want to try other than diving is also included. Relais Royale has a few beach bungalows and then a couple channel bungalows, the beach bungalows are definitely nicer there. I believe they are for sale though, so I am not sure if Monique still runs it. Breakfast and Lunch are included, and you can walk across the channel to the main village if you wish, you can also walk the other direction and go motu exploring, crossing channels, and get quite close to Pearl Beach I expect. The main village is tiny, and very pretty, and has a small market. Owner speaks French, but we have always communicated fine with her. There are no restaurants off resort/pension in Tikehau.
In TIkehau, there is a manta cleaning station you can dive or snorkel at, it is shallow, probably will see Manta there, but the water can be quite murky. Still a cool experience if you've never done so.

In Fakarava we stay at the Havaiki Guest House, like a small hotel, the beach bungalows have AC but it faces West so can be very hot in the afternoon. However the views are spectacular, the meals are wonderful, and the Fakarava village is really delightful. You can take the guest house bikes and explore if you wish, which we always do. There is a nice snack shop there where we often ate lunch, right on the beach, reasonably priced. There's also a snack shop at Havaiki, but it is more expensive than the one in the village. This is at the North Pass. You can also stay on the South, but the pensions there are less to choose from and I don't believe the individual bungalows have electricity. For us, the diving in NOrth pass was wonderful and we did not miss not going to South Pass, as we felt it was a bit too rustic for our preferences. It is popular with many, however. Ramiti is one option over there, but again, we didn't think it was for us.

In Moorea, Pearl is a very nice option and I think the Pearl resorts offer a good value for what you pay. In fact, if you chose Moorea and Tikehau, Pearl is at both and sometimes they offer good deals like stay 3 one free, breakfasts included, etc. We have just switched to pensions because we prefer a more local experience and the prices are better overall making yearly trips there doable for us.
So, in Moorea, we stayed at Fare Miti and also Pension Motu Iti. Both were nice, but Fare Miti has a kitchenette with a real fridge, and motu iti does not even have a cooler type fridge, and we rented a car while there so we could explore as we chose. Breakfast and dinner are available options at motu iti, and we did that and the food was very good and reasonably priced. At Fare Miti, she will bring around bread in the am, very cheap, and there's a fruit stand across the street. You can also order dinner from a nearby snack/restaurant, and can also walk to some from Fare Miti, but meals are not included. THe Lagoonarium was also fun, and we did go up Belvedere which was pretty cool as well. We dove iwth Moorea Fun Dive, but the other suggested dive op also has a good reputation. Again, I would just avoid topdive.
Also, and this is just our preference, but I would take the ferry over to Moorea and stand out on top so you can see the approach. Fast ride, gorgeous views, inexpensive way to get there. Car rental if you want to do that is right there at the ferry docks also, once you arrive in Moorea.

Have fun planning!!

Our dive level is still fairly beginner, we are at about 70 dives now, with most of those being in French Polynesia on the atolls of TIkehau, Rangiroa and Fakarava. We just have always made clear our experience level and have had no problems other than our very first dive after certification dives. But that was our own fault really. WE got certified in Bora Bora and then did our first dive in Tikehau, and should have been more clear about that. However, the guy no longer works at a dive shop and we are very happy with Raie Manta in TIkehau. There is also TIkehau Plongee, but we prefer Raie Manta. Often, the more experienced divers will go with one guide,a nd we will go with another. The boats aren't very large, and it's not really anything like those cattle massive group dives some locations have. We do try to avoid cruise day, but you won't find cruise ships in Tikehau, and most cruisers pick top dive or six passenger anyway on Rangi and Top dive on Fakarava.

Last edited:
Definitely Fakarava and/or Rangiroa. The coral and the fish are spectacular, as is the above-water view. Spend the bulk of your time there. We slightly preferred Fakarava, but you'll enjoy either. I’d agree with the comment from wico6768 about splitting your time between an atoll (e.g., Fakarava) and an island (e.g., Bora Bora or Moorea) because they are both great and very different.

We’ve done two sailing trips in French Polynesia – Huahine, Raiatea, Tahaa, and Bora Bora in 1986, and Fakarava to Rangiroa about seven years ago, with a few days in Bora Bora before we picked up the sailboat. A few thoughts for you:

+ While it’s busier and more built up than 30 years ago, Bora Bora is still beautiful. If you want the resort-hotel experience and a few days of pampering before or after you do the diving part of your trip, this would be a great place to be. Particularly if you stay at one of the hotels that’s out in the lagoon. I remember a great drift snorkel we did inside the lagoon (30 years ago) near the small eastern pass. If you end up in Bora Bora, it’s worth finding someone who can take you there. Also worth checking out Gallerie Alain et Linda. Between Vaitape and Matira point. Alain does some beautiful hand painted pareos.

+ Fakarava and Rangiroa are both amazing. We stayed a few days near the southern pass at Fakarava, and did a couple of snorkel drifts through the pass. There are also plenty of shallower spots nearby with less current but lots of coral, fish, and reef sharks. I’ll let others comment on which outfit to dive with, since the sailboat was our base.

+ Worth a trip on Fakarava is Hinano Pearls. Black pearl farm, run by Gunter Hellberg. Very friendly guy. He’ll give you a tour and a rundown on how they farm black pearls. Of course, there’s a pearl shop on site. Prices were pretty reasonable compared to, say, Bora Bora or Papeete. Call ahead to make sure he'll be around.

+ We anchored off the Maitai Dream (also Fakarava) and had a very nice lunch. Spectacular beach, looks like it would be a nice spot to stay, but we were only passing through.

+ We had an wonderful afternoon in the lagoon at Tuao with a huge pod of manta rays that were busy feeding (my avatar is a picture of the big one we saw that day, probably a 12' wingspan). Might have been the best thing we saw on the entire trip. So my suggestion is that wherever you end up, see if you can find a spot where the rays feed and dive there. They're majestic.

+ Rangiroa. We were only there a couple of days, but like Fakarava, there are a number of different sites you can hit. The drift through the pass was great, and different from Fakarava.

+ Other sights. On the most recent trip we skipped Patpeete, but if you have a layover on your way out to the Tuamotus, it’s worth going in to town to see the market, have lunch, etc. If you take Wingy's advice and do a circle tour of Tahiti -- and manage the side trip to Teahupoo -- make sure you read the book "The Wave" before you go.

+ Moorea. Different topography than Bora Bora or the Tuamotus, you can visit the interior of the island. Interesting ruins, and great views of the pair of bays where the Cook expedition landed. Would be another reasonable choice for the "island" part of the trip, if you decide on the island / atoll split.

+ If you're at all religious, it's worth going to a Sunday service in one of the local churches. You'll get a mix of French and Polynesian, and the singing you'll hear (mostly Polynesian) is like nothing else

Have fun!

---------- Post added April 7th, 2015 at 09:38 AM ----------

Quick follow up, FWIW.

This is probably more rustic than you want to be on your honeymoon, but my wife pointed out that I should provide a link to the sailboat we were on in the Tuamotus.
Cruises Sauvage - home - Surf, kite, dive, Kayak, snowbord, trek, Antarctica, Patagonia, Alaska, Polynesia, Vanuatu, Indonesia
Sauvage a beautiful 60 footer; Didier and his wife Sophie were great.
Another link, this to some photos of a trip Sauvage did in 2014
Diaporama Tuamotu 2014

Last edited:
Sorry, I didn't mean to be vague lol. We are aiming for at least 10 days, so could split 5 and 5 between islands. I have heard to stay way from TOPDIVE and use other companies. What do you recommend?

Pretty much what we did a few years ago.

3 days bora bora, 6 days rangiroa. if you're padi, best to be rescue diver to take full advantage of the dives in rangiroa, but even without it will be a great time, 7 passengers divers over top dive.

LOL I noticed that too freewillow - in the other thread I referred to them as two passengers heh!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom