Diving the Detroit River...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoneCrusher

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
We have a pretty lively conversation over on the Facebook page about diving the Detroit River. There have been lots of rumors/speculations over the years regarding the legality of diving the Detroit River. Some people think there is a difference between the ability to shore dive vs diving off of a boat.

Have you dove the Detroit River? What do you guys think? Weigh in here or over on the Facebook page!

www.facebook.com/groups/dive.glwc/permalink/10154577065324863/

Tread carefully.

"Illegal" usually always means that they can (and will) confiscate your dive equipment. I can walk to the Delaware River from here, but have no shore access.

I think that I found a legal "chink". My local rep is working on it. :)

Mike, you can dive anywhere in the river as long as it is not within the City Of Detroit. I have dove Trenton, Wyndotte, Ecorse, and River Rouge. As for the ordinance against passed in 63, it states that skin divers may not dive in the river if their skin touches the water in other words if you wear drysuit, dryhood, dry gloves, and ffm you are legally able to dive the river within city limits. Now if the law was to be seriously challenged, the ordinance will fail as the city cannot legally ban sport diving. I would fight it out on fb, but I'm not on it.

As you know, I spend a lot of time diving the detroit river, but you can't do it within the city limits of detroit. It is crazy how well they pay attention.

Yes, this topic rolls around every couple years. As Jared states, i'm not sure how "legal" the ordinance is that makes it "illegal". But the only way to fix it is to challenge it in court. Unfortunately, for most people it isn't work the time, money, and hassle to try and change it. A lot of it now seems to be in who you know vs is it really illegal nor not. If you aren't in the know, then it is easy for anyone to run you off on claims of it being illegal. ;-)

Didn't realize that it is divable. The water has a nice hue to it but didnt seem too clear. I am on my way there now for work - we will be right on the river in river rouge but will be transferring everything to st clair. I planned on diving up there the next few quarters but can also figure some time on detroit river.

I have access to a private fishing pier there adjacent to a public park. I will check with them regarding diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom