Diving the lost City

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kenlau, do you know if the dive club is still able to dive the lake? I read on another thread that the Big Blue dive shop of Shanghai no longer has permission to dive there from the government, so I was curious if it was just their shop or all divers that were no longer allowed.

Big Blue was able to get a 'special permit' after the problems earlier in the summer. They are still taking some dives out there, but are limited in their access. It's all politics, someone's brother wants to get piece of the pie or something. There has never been any issues with dives conducted out there, which is normally the only reason the Chinese get involved unless there is easy money to be made.

They just had a trip out there last week, not on the calendar after that, so not sure if it's just they are going to be too busy with their other dives in Phuket, Anilao, and other places.

So the answer is "yes" you can still dive, but on a limited use basis, contact Big Blue in Shanghai, ask for Tom Warren (021-6291-2110), he can sort you out

Think the local goverment banned on diving the sunken town, and the water temp AFAIK is 10-18 degree C so pretty much a drysuit dive, also the viz is not that great i heard...
On a side note about 3 hrs out of Beijing there's a section of the Great Wall flooded for a hydroelectric project, which is divable at the moment, albeit cold water temp(6 deg C at 22 Metres)

Back
Top Bottom