Diving the Lulu the weekend of 11 July 2014

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

philmottrek99and02

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Yeah, long time no post on Scubaboard. A thousand lashes!

Coming down own for a weekend or diving and fishing. One dive will be on the Lulu. I have coords but lack some information. Current? Buoy and how deep? Current water temps? Things to look for while on her?

thanks a bunch in advance!

Howard

Yeah, long time no post on Scubaboard. A thousand lashes!

Coming down own for a weekend or diving and fishing. One dive will be on the Lulu. I have coords but lack some information. Current? Buoy and how deep? Current water temps? Things to look for while on her?

thanks a bunch in advance!

Howard

The top of the wreck is about 60 feet from the surface, making it accessible for novice divers,cargo deck is in the 80- to 90-foot range. No marker buoys, so you should anchor/tie off (look for the other boats) Current can be variable, lately I've seen one site with no surface current and a ripping current on the second site. Definitely throw a tag line, JIC. Water temps two weeks ago were in the upper 70's at the surface to about 20' (off Pensacola), upper 60's to the bottom. Noticeable thermocline. I haven't been on the Lulu since June of last year, but jacks, spades, and snapper should be around, blennies and angels should be on the structure - the usual suspects. Have fun and post back!

Current water temps?

Current changes every day, sometimes by the hour.

Bottom temp is still unseasonably cool (around 68°F) but the surface temp is comfortable, and the warm weather upstairs should make the bottom temps "refreshing" rather than "chilly" ;-)

Everywhere I've been for the past month or so had bad viz in the top 20-40 feet, and nice, clear water underneath. I did have some bad reports from last weekend of less than 10 feet of viz on the inshore sites (Russian Freighter, Three Barges, Etc.) but I'm usually diving further out to sea.

Viz, like current, can change by the hour, so all you can do is cross your fingers, and have a back-up plan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom