Diving The Red Sea - A Cheater's Guide???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LastManOut

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Dearest Scubaboard Peers of Society,

Because I have limited time to spend surfing at the moment and I'm a fast typer, I would rather throw a couple of questions out there. Pardon my laziness.

1) Hurghada or Sharm? I may do a little bit of technical diving but my other half is a recreational instructor and will just want to do <30m dives.
2) Which company? Best reputation, good price etc.
3) Best time of year? Is November/December any good?

Being instructors we are not fussed about seeing big things or whatever, we like good vis and if we have it, it's a bonus, but not essential. We're looking for the hidden spots off the beaten track as well as the big hitters that are highly reccomended.

Any other advice you could give would be really helpful. Thanks in advance guys.

-- Nemo

I'm open to whichever Shadow, I'm a red sea virgin and am interested to find out if decent diving is accessible from the shore or whether you have to go on a liveaboard.

Honestly, whatever you recommend - within a reasonable budget as I'm touring europe first :)

-- Nemo

Dahab by far has the best dive sites in the red sea (been to Sharm & Hurghada); you may want to go to Sharm though for a couple of days to relax, enjoy the city lights & dive the Thistlegorm if you're into wrecks :)

I'm open to whichever Shadow, I'm a red sea virgin and am interested to find out if decent diving is accessible from the shore or whether you have to go on a liveaboard.

Honestly, whatever you recommend - within a reasonable budget as I'm touring europe first :)

-- Nemo
Yes decent (actually more than decent) diving is accessible from shore in Dahab. And within a reasonable budget then it's definitely Dahab.

Have a look at SCUBA diving holidays in Dahab, South Sinai, Red Sea, Egypt for more info about Dahab dive sites.

There is a wonderful book called Sinai diving guide written by Attilio Siliotti (Italian)
You can make your own opinion about the various places
Hurghada and south there is a good guide from Hepca you can read
All of us residents will be happy to help once you decide what you like more

Dahab by far has the best dive sites in the red sea (been to Sharm & Hurghada); you may want to go to Sharm though for a couple of days to relax, enjoy the city lights & dive the Thistlegorm if you're into wrecks :)

Dahab has good dive sites, but I am quite sure that you are on the minority when claiming that they are "by far the dive sites in the red sea".

With all respect to its sites, they are by far *not* the best dive sites in the red sea, and if one wants to relax- it will be by far better relaxing anywhere between Nuweiba and Dahab rather than Sharm... :D

If you still feel like this, it is well about time for you to come again for a "corrective experience" in Sharm's dive sites :wink:

LastManOut- in my short experience, I have noticed that on liveaboards it is more difficult to get to "off the beaten track" divesites, as you'll have to convince the whole group to try different sites and usually they want to see first "the famous" sites. If you happen to be on a group with veterans that have seen a lot, they may be willing to experience less famous sites.

However, some of the crowded famous sites are really good indeed, and I wouldn't miss them just because they are crowded.

Anyway, it is easier to get to less frequented dive sites in Dahab's area, since you are doing shore diving and may end up being in a small group (you and your other half) so basically you'll be able to ask where to go.. And good place for relaxing,,,

At this time of year the northern liveaboards are not that busy and so are dive sites
However unless you are into wrecks to dive northern Sinai you are better off resort based
Sharm is much more crowded than Dahab and it is a tourist town 100
while dahab is more like a village
For what concerns the best dive spots the resort operator know the sites better than liveaboards
Completely different story for Southern red sea. The best reefs are off
shore and some only accessible by
liveaboards
Posted via Mobile Device

(information deleted)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom