Diving the Red Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I want to plan a trip to the Red Sea with 5 friends in Dec 19. This is the first trip like this I've been involved in the planning of. I am looking for experiences good or bad. Best dive sights? Thinking about starting in Cairo floating the Nile to the damn seeing the pyramids, busing to the Sea then 10 days on a live aboard.. Any input will help and is welcome, thank you in advance.Jeff

Highly recommend Northern Wrecks and Reefs itinerary with Tornado Fleet Whirlwind. Great allround diving with some fantastic reefs like Shark and Yolanda and wrecks including the mighty Thistlegorm and Giannis D.

I've done this trip many times and never got bored.

Currently operates out of Hurghada.

I was on the MY Blue in Nov. the level of that boat is ridiculous. It’s basically a luxury yacht, although the incessant smoking of all staff on the boat started to get to me. I enjoyed the North and wrecks trip, although brothers was very busy. Several people on the boast suggested the southern reefs as the best reef diving in the Red Sea. I also spent 4 days in Hurghada before the start of the trip and stayed at the breakers resort. I was very happy, excellent house reef diving and trips. I highly recommend it for a few days before getting on the boat.

I did Northern & Dahab with redseaexplorers.com and enjoyed it very much. GUE infested but openminded, sidemount / rebreather / double tank / freediving friendly. Trimix, DPV, Nitrox, ... Started from Hurghada.

I've seen the MY Blue but wasn't on it. Very different focus; no tech diving, no deco diving, focus on luxury on the boat for the recreational diver. Your choice.

Northern / Dahab: reefs and wrecks, but no sharks
Southern / Sudan: Sharks and reefs, mantas and dolphins, but only few wrecks

I did a 7-day river Nile cruise many years ago, it started in Luxor, went down to Assuan, a day trip by bus to Abu Simbel, then back to Luxor by ship. Then flew to Cairo for another 3 days for the museums and pyramids. Was a great trip. I don't know if cruise ships go from Cairo all the way to Assuan, it's a long way. The interesting part of the river Nile cruises is between Luxor and Assuan.

I did Northern & Dahab with redseaexplorers.com and enjoyed it very much. GUE infested but openminded, sidemount / rebreather / double tank / freediving friendly. Trimix, DPV, Nitrox, ... Started from Hurghada.

I've seen the MY Blue but wasn't on it. Very different focus; no tech diving, no deco diving, focus on luxury on the boat for the recreational diver. Your choice.

Northern / Dahab: reefs and wrecks, but no sharks
Southern / Sudan: Sharks and reefs, mantas and dolphins, but only few wrecks

I did a 7-day river Nile cruise many years ago, it started in Luxor, went down to Assuan, a day trip by bus to Abu Simbel, then back to Luxor by ship. Then flew to Cairo for another 3 days for the museums and pyramids. Was a great trip. I don't know if cruise ships go from Cairo all the way to Assuan, it's a long way. The interesting part of the river Nile cruises is between Luxor and Assuan.

Could you clarify? On our MY Blue trip there was sidemount/dual side mount and training (6+ divers)/ deco diving/ nitro/trimix diving and they said they support rebreather, although no one was diving with one on our trip...

..actually, I’m not 100% sure about the trimix, asking a friend who was on the boat.

Hi @Jeff Taylor

In 2016, I did 2 weeks on the Red Sea Aggressor (now RSA I) and did Brothers, Daedalus, Elphinstone and St Johns, Daedalus Red Sea Aggressor April-May 2016 They now offer a northern Red Sea itinerary on the RSA II.

Also in 2016, my wife and I did a 2 week trip in Egypt seeing Cairo and cruising from Luxor to Aswan, including a day trip to Abu Simbel.
The Aggressor has a fairly extensive add on travel selection that might give you an idea of what's available Aggressor Adventure Travel™ | Official Site| So Much More To Explore. Though certainly not possible for all, a month was about the right amount of time for my introduction to Egypt's rich history and wonderful diving.

Best of luck, Craig

Could you clarify? On our MY Blue trip there was sidemount/dual side mount and training (6+ divers)/ deco diving/ nitro/trimix diving and they said they support rebreather, although no one was diving with one on our trip...

I don't know, as said I wasn't on the boat, but their website says that 40m max, no deco, 12l/15l single tanks, Nitrox maybe, but doesn't mention Trimix or twin tanks. Maybe they offer more than what's on the website but then you better confirm before booking.

I was on the MY Blue seas for a couple of trips this past december and can recomend them. There was at least one person using a rebreather and another that was doing dual side mount tanks

I stayed on land at Roots Camp (Pharoah Dive Shop) and did dives from Hurghada to Marsa Alam including two brief trips on liveaboards they arranged. I generally prefer land-based trips so I can get a feel for local culture. That may or may not be of interest to you.

Back
Top Bottom