Diving the Sailboat - hows the viz this weekend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bsteg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are diving the sunken sailboat (and the amtrack) this weekend to test out how well an iphone works for GPS location of dive spots. Also gonna shoot some vids. Hope the viz is good near del monte/mcmuffin. Let me know if you want to join in.

Here is my crazy GPS rig.

Sausage
Reel
Clip weight
Dicapac iPhone case (good for 33')
iPhone

So the idea is to leave my phone floating at the surface....

photo.jpg

Secure it really well. Not joking in any way when I say that I have been amazed at what the otters out there will take an interest in on that beach. My instructor had a clacker-noisemaker snatched out of his hand while he was using it by an otter and I would have lost a flashlight if it had not been clipped to my belt. I don't think human divers would mess with it, but a shiny yellow thing bobbing at the surface might draw some furry attention.

That said: have a great dive. Every time I have tried to get to the sailboat viz has been <5 feet. Would love to see pics if you get there.

I'm worried about the viz too. Hoping for a 30' report from delmonte today. Never thought of the otters....they could hall off with my reel, weights and all!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom