Diving the Spiegel Grove this Weekend - Any Guesses on Current?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have dived it about 15 times, just only once in my boat. The Spiegel is an easy wreck in my opinion, I am more worried about my son, even though I shouldn't be cause really he is a better diver than me lol (even though he has a lot less dives) He is already free diving to 70 feet and holding his breathe for 3.5 minutes.

But because of his age, obviously will be cautious.

I didn't say you weren't qualified to dive on the wreck but inside the wreck. Are you overhead trained? Have you had cave/wreck training (not a PADI specialty)? Are you diving with redundant air sources?

Not sure what free diving and breath holding has to do with being a better scuba diver. I'm more concerned about being able to resolve issues without panic, and more importantly, being able to avoid issues in the first place.

And hopefully your plan to dive it from your boat doesn't mean you are going to tie off and leave it unattended while you two dive. Who will come get you if you get blown off the wreck and are a half mile away by the time you reach the surface?

I didn't say you weren't qualified to dive on the wreck but inside the wreck. Are you overhead trained? Have you had cave/wreck training (not a PADI specialty)? Are you diving with redundant air sources?

Not sure what free diving and breath holding has to do with being a better scuba diver. I'm more concerned about being able to resolve issues without panic, and more importantly, being able to avoid issues in the first place.

I understand and I do appreciate your input. No redundant air but thats because with a buddy. I have been inside it a bunch of times, but you are correct I do not know it all really well yet, so we would only do a short swim through at the top where you can see light on the other side before entering. There is also a good spot on the side in between the railing and pillars and you can hide from the current there. But I do agree with you that if it is ripping that bad again we probably won't do it. Thats why I was hoping for some insight to kind of plan what I will be doing this weekend.

Being a great free diver will make you 100 x better scuba diver, free diving is all about being calm, if you cannot remain calm, you can't hold your breath.

Also being able to hold your breath for 3.5 minutes in an emergency situation gives you a much better chance of survival. It also helps you remain calm.

And hopefully your plan to dive it from your boat doesn't mean you are going to tie off and leave it unattended while you two dive. Who will come get you if you get blown off the wreck and are a half mile away by the time you reach the surface?

My daughter will be there, actually last time the current was so bad we had to come up a different buoy and she had to come get us.

last time the current was so bad we had to come up a different buoy and she had to come get us.

I'm glad we're not the only ones. I was leading the dive and we came down one crane, pulled ourselves forward and back along the side in ripping current and poor visibility, at one point we crossed to the other side, one of our group was getting low on gas and somewhat anxious and wanted to abort. Fastest way up was the crane on the side we were already on. Luckily no real surface current.

I'm glad we're not the only ones. I was leading the dive and we came down one crane, pulled ourselves forward and back along the side in ripping current and poor visibility, at one point we crossed to the other side, one of our group was getting low on gas and somewhat anxious and wanted to abort. Fastest way up was the crane on the side we were already on. Luckily no real surface current.

Pretty much what happened to us exactly, so I am hoping it will be calmer this time for sure. We came up one buoy over, I think 6 instead of 5

I understand and I do appreciate your input. No redundant air but thats because with a buddy. I have been inside it a bunch of times, but you are correct I do not know it all really well yet, so we would only do a short swim through at the top where you can see light on the other side before entering. There is also a good spot on the side in between the railing and pillars and you can hide from the current there. But I do agree with you that if it is ripping that bad again we probably won't do it. Thats why I was hoping for some insight to kind of plan what I will be doing this weekend.

Being a great free diver will make you 100 x better scuba diver, free diving is all about being calm, if you cannot remain calm, you can't hold your breath.

Also being able to hold your breath for 3.5 minutes in an emergency situation gives you a much better chance of survival. It also helps you remain calm.

I'm not concerned with the tourist swim-thrus where you can see the exit 20 feet away, just don't want anyone unqualified making turns or descending stairs. Has he had rescue training? Being calm is great but you still have to know how to do things. He probably holds his breath 3.5 minutes when he prepares for it and takes a big breath. You'll most likely find out your reg isn't delivering air when you go to inhale after exhaling. Have him fully exhale and time how long he can hold it.

This site is not 100% accurate,,,,but it gives you an indication what 'might' be there.
I don't use it as a ' Go - NoGo ' decision tool,,,it's just one piece of the puzzle

096.png

He probably holds his breath 3.5 minutes when he prepares for it and takes a big breath.

Honestly I don't know if that would make much of a difference. Although he might pass out before he makes it to 3.5 minutes, or blackout. With breath holding its more about getting passed the mammalian reflex at 60 seconds, than packing your lungs. But packing your lungs helps.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom