Diving this Weekend at FTW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paul Fabrizi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am from CT and my son has only been diving a few times all in local lakes. I wanted to bring him to FTW (Fort Wetherill) for his first ocean dive. I wanted to go this weekend, but I was not sure on how this weather would effect the visibility.

Can anyone give me some insight to this?

Thanks!

The visibility of FTW is like playing darts blindfolded. Eventually you will hit the bullseye. A bad day there is less than 2ft. An average day is probably 4 to 6ft. A good day is 10ft. And on the best day ever I have seen 20+. Make sure you get there early to avoid any classes, as students stir it up quickly.

Have fun, dive safe.

I think Ft Adams in Newport would be a better choice this weekend. Drive around to the "back" of Ft. Adams and dive in the East Passage. The vis is normally better than FTW and it is protected from the winds. It also flushes out better during tide changes.

I looked at the NOAA link and it said Sunday was 1foot seas and wind SW. since The Ft Wetherill Cove faces due South, the best winds to protect are coming from anywhere but due South.
Have you used this Newport weather link? National Weather Service
Tonight looks perfect.
I have to drive a friend to church, so I can’t get there Sunday until afternoon at the earliest.
I hope people post their morning experiences, so I get a Sunday morning live update!

I looked at the NOAA link and it said Sunday was 1foot seas and wind SW. since The Ft Wetherill Cove faces due South, the best winds to protect are coming from anywhere but due South.
Have you used this Newport weather link? National Weather Service
Tonight looks perfect.
I have to drive a friend to church, so I can’t get there Sunday until afternoon at the earliest.
I hope people post their morning experiences, so I get a Sunday morning live update!

It takes a few days for things to settle at FTW, there is a lot slit that gets disturbed there. Ft Adams has been protected from the wind and surf in addition there is notably less slit to be disturbed at Ft Adams so it takes considerably less time to clear up than FTW. Hope you all enjoy your dives this weekend, be safe.

I'll be working on my wife's car Sunday because I didn't finish it Sat. The last 3 weekends before this one I was replacing the motor and transmission in my car, in addition to a complete front brake rebuild on both car's last weekend. Then this past week her car broke a stabilizer bar link, a ball joint, and a front axle. How? Don't know. The car gods hate me?

It takes a few days for things to settle at FTW, there is a lot slit that gets disturbed there. Ft Adams has been protected from the wind and surf in addition there is notably less slit to be disturbed at Ft Adams so it takes considerably less time to clear up than FTW. Hope you all enjoy your dives this weekend, be safe.

I'll be working on my wife's car Sunday because I didn't finish it Sat. The last 3 weekends before this one I was replacing the motor and transmission in my car, in addition to a complete front brake rebuild on both car's last weekend. Then this past week her car broke a stabilizer bar link, a ball joint, and a front axle. How? Don't know. The car gods hate me?
Car gods hate you....

Car gods hate you....

I think you're right, after replacing the right axle the noise on the right side went away, so now the left axle can be clearly heard while driving along, until the wheel is turned to the left. That's correct, the left axle is bad too. Also the NEW brake hose on the right that I installed last weekend, was cut by a wheel weight causing the car be towed home yesterday. So today I'll burn a vacation day to warp this saga up and maybe just maybe get back in the water this weekend! That is if nothing else happens to these old cars and this old house! Thank God my dive gear is more reliable then either of my cars!

One more thing, got my MRI results, I have a large rotator cuff tear in my left shoulder and will need surgery before the end of the year. That's right all this auto repair work with a damaged shoulder.

Anybody have any weekend dive reports?

Back
Top Bottom