Diving to 130 ft ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A freak love child of GI3 and AG? Shudder.

I would immediately move to the farthest reaches of the globe.

World class athletes have dropped dead of heart-attacks while Uncle Joe who smokes 3 packs a day and has a beer belly bigger than Tiger Wood's Black Book has managed to dive for the past 25 years after gobblin down 2 steak sub sandwiches and a milkshake.

So much for all those actuaries. Tell the kiddies in college to change careers before it's too late.

I'm curious how much diving you've done on Vancouver Island. I've been to the walls at Port Hardy down to a depth of about 110 (was only diving singles), and with vis over 100 feet could see much farther down the walls than that. They're not just covered with life ... there's life growing on the life. And as far down as I went and as far down as I could see from there, there was no sign of any letup in the sheer volume of life growing there. I do plan to show up next time with doubles and trimix, just to go see what's down there.

There are deep walls in places like Nootka Sound and Sechelt Inlet where the red gorgonians don't even start to grow till you get well below recreational depths ... and they only get better as you go deeper.

Been to about 135 on Snake Island Wall ... and it's covered in plumose anemones and all the invertebrates that such shelter attracts.

There's way more to see down there than just fish ... some of it way more interesting than fish ... and much of it, like cloud sponges, prefers deep walls ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob,

Obviously you have yet another place which is an exception to the rule... cheers!

Bob,

Obviously you have yet another place which is an exception to the rule... cheers!
I don't think it's an exception so much as the fact I dive in a place that tends to attract a different type of life than you'll find at most dive destinations. Much, if not most of what we go diving to look at here is inverterbrate life, and an awful lot of it prefers the more stable environs of deep, dark water. In fact, the reverse is also true ... many species that are found elsewhere in the world only in very deep places are commonly found here at recreational depths ... chimaera and six-gill sharks, for example.

That's the problem with generalizations ... the world's oceans and its inhabitants are anything but homogenous.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

2. There is little if any life represented in that depth range on the walls I have dived. (most of it needs more light [-]and warmth[/-].) There are exceptions, such as Black Coral and some shark species etc... that like to cruise the walls at depth.
3. There is a lot of life at this depth range on wrecks - in many places - but not on walls.
4. Best place I have seen to see tons of life in the 100 -150ft range is North Carolina, USA. [-]There are more fish per SQF of water on the wrecks than anywhere else on earth.[/-]
5. 2nd Best place to see life in this range in my experience- Truk Lagoon, Micronesia
A few edits to elevate your pronouncements to fact, hopefully.

Last edited:
As has been said here in several posts, there may be no simple answer for this. My recommendation would be, as I think was stated before, not to do your first dive to this depth in an environment which does not allow easy access to shallower depth if you begin to feel uncomfortable during the dive. You can also discuss this with your divemaster at the site, and maybe arrange for a private guided dive with a divemaster and a contingency plan for an alternate, shallower profile if you feel uncomfortable during the decent. Having a one on one guide would give you a greater control, assure supervision, and be safer for you and the group you are diving with. Once you have comfortably completed the dive and know what to expect, you can plan those type of deeper dives with greater confidence. It sounds like a fantastic vacation either way.

My wife and I have roughly 45 dives each over the course of about 7 years of recreational vacation diving.

100ft is the deepest we have dived, with many logged dives to 80.

We are comfortable with diving but I'm wondering what the thoughts are in regard to going to 130ft for the first time.

The reason I ask is we will be diving in Cozumel this Thanksgiving and have plans of doing Punta Sur which goes to 130 ft.

I've never been able to detect any narcosis but I'm a little concerned about a 30% jump in diving depth.

I don't see any opportunity to go deeper incrementally at this point.

I have done that dive several times as has my wife. It is a fun dive with plenty to see. I don't recall anything untoward other than minor overhead and some current. I suspect you might not want to make that your first dive of the trip, perhaps the last.

I have some pics taken there somewhere with my Nikonos with S&S lens. It is not my fav Coz dive but it is a great dive nonetheless. We enjoyed it. My wife was at your approximate experience when she made the dive circa 1982.

N

I'm considering doing Devil's Throat next month. I'm personally, comfortable with the environment/profile, but my buddy is a wildcard (dives very infrequently).

I contacted Jeremy at livingunderwater (who offers 120CF tanks), and he won't take divers there without first evaluating them on a previous day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom