Diving to 200' and Beyond

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"You think so? I've seen it quite light in the Sea of Cortez at ~150-160 FSW. In the Caribbean, I imagine it would be very well lighted that deep."

I didn't mean light intensity; I mean color range. My 2 deepest dives were both around 136 feet deep, one Oil Slick Leap, Bonaire, one the Blue Hole, Belize. Neither was dark; it's just that so other much color had screened out.

It'd be interesting if the woman would take a video camera with her on a couple of dives, to show what she's looking at down there. That's part of what I'm wondering; how much of this is deep diving to see something, and how much (if any) to feel something? I haven't done it so I lack a decent frame of reference.

Richard.

Reactions: Jax
I've been down over 1000 feet and been able to see over 100 feet with ambient light only.. (4 real)..

She wasn't using a single tank, and we don't know the size or fill of the "pony".
"with a single 83 cu tank & a back-up pony bottle to depths of 200' or more"
Backup pony bottle would indicate an emergency bailout, not a planned resource. I can't imagine having to switch tanks at depth only to find the pony empty or the reg malfunctioning. Doubles or rebreather are the only way I would consider those dives.

@drrich2 - I did ask her what she saw down there that kept her going back. She said the sponges were larger, the coral was "more magnificent", and "less ruined by pollution". She also said she saw marine animals not seen frequently in the "shallow" water (meaning anything less than 130'-150' ). Before my husband & I turned around, we looked down, & we could see the top of a wall below us (and the end of the reef we were swimming, which others told us begins at about 130-150' deep). She said the "most beautiful" part begins at the top of that wall & continues "even more so" as you drop down to over 200'. No one has mentioned that she has ever brought a camera with her.
To talk to, she is quite "old school" in that she said "gadgets are for those who don't know what they are doing", and that the dive training today is "too simple! Anyone could pass". Regarding new technology, she said she decided purchasing a dive computer when they became available, was just prudent.
She also said she considers herself a "caretaker" of the sea, in that she picks up debris when/where she finds it, and fans silt off the largest sponges as she swims by "so they can breathe".
When she certified in France "many, many years ago", she said she was the only woman, at that time. She said the instructors didn't think she was capable of diving (as a woman), so she had to prove herself able. She said they watched her more closely, certain she would fail. @dumpsterDiver, she told us she dives trimix. I assumed the pony had air as the long safety/travel bottle, but I didn't ask that question. (I had already asked so many). And she has a lilting voice like a canary. :)

Last edited:
I've been down over 1000 feet and been able to see over 100 feet with ambient light only.. (4 real)..

1000 feet? On OC or in a sub? :)

68-70 yrs. of age(?) and she's filling her own mix, dubious backup gas and she emphasizes diving safely? Haven't seen it much in my experience. Oldest guy I saw in the US (NE) was a very fit cardiologist around 75-80 yrs. on air with old school equipment and technique. He didn't break 100'. The bit about this lady commenting on a nitrox as a "baby" dive smacks disingenuous + sooner or later it catches up with you. There are are "kooky" lucky legends diving out there. I try to stay away.

that the dive training today is "too simple! Anyone could pass"

To the OP, I agree with this, but on the other hand, if you stick to the rules recommended it is not likely you will get hurt, we are talking on recreational levels, for the amount of divers in the water on daily basis worldwide the amount of accidents and fatalities is very low.

As well there are people that are different than others, and are a rare minority, I will say stick to what the agencies teach to the large majority, the limitations are based in to trap a large range of people, but there are people that fall out of that range on the upper and lower side, what I call the rare minority.

There are studies in process in Belgium of people with, certain blood chemistry very uncommon that are way less susceptible to bends than the average Joe, these persons were cutting short or omitting mandatory deco, and get away with it. they testing show a different blood chemistry in those people, don't know what that is, have not heard further of the final results, if those people were just very lucky or they really can cope with bends.

Back in the days, there was people diving 200+ on air, back on those days there was a lot of fatalities as well, but others didn't suffer from any issues. now days after Doppler studies and some more others they conclude on a wide range of people and set the standards of what is acceptable now days.

Last edited:
She is going to ruin the vacation of some nice couple who decides to accompany her only to 100', when she doesn't return from 200+.....

She is going to ruin the vacation of some nice couple who decides to accompany her only to 100', when she doesn't return from 200+.....

She sounds pretty cool. I bet doing a dive with her (and sharing a glass of wine afterwards) is more likely to make your vacation rather than ruin it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom