diving unchartered area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

neopluredon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
hello :)

i have always been tasked by my instructor to hide slates and other for his aow candidates' exercises on my own. that's just about it... also, the reason for the operator to let me dive alone is that i've known the operator for a very long time and trust that i won't die in their resort... pretty dork-ish for the experienced solo divers here but have done it more aften lately since i got my rescue license. since i am already bored of the same 'ol training resort and am currently working night shift thereby my schedule is quite complicated for most normal people working in the day i have firmly decided to dive on my own (unless the resort forbids it... i still respect rules especially if it has something to do with safety or cultureal traditions and would not impose the amazona-type-of-pride).

so here's the story... my mom's clan owns a lot nearby the seashore and am planning to borrow a compressor from a navy friend just to explore the place. i just thought of trying to explore the area as it might become a nice dive spot in the future. with my experience and all, can you assess if i am ready for this task? or should i gather a hundred more dives to "trail blaze" the area (for the record, i hike and climb solo for 5 years so solo diving fascinates me a lot). please advise :D

For me, Unless I was to dive with you I don't think a proper accessment can be made as to whether you are ready yet to solo. You have to really take a honest look at yourself and ask this question, if I get into trouble out there, can I get myself out of it and back to shore safely?

I talked to one solo diver in the chat forum here on SB and the guy admitted to panicing when he got water in his reg down at 70'. He has over 150 dives and all I can say is that he has no business soloing. Water in a reg should be a non issue for a solo diver. He admitted that he forgot how to properly clear his reg.

So the call is yours, are you prepared, both mentally and gear wise and do you have the essential skills down.

As for checking out new territory, use some common sense and go for it. Check tides and such, entry and exit points, dont be wreckless and have fun exploring.

thanks a lot :)

If you're questioning it, you're probably not ready. I had quite a few solo dives at familiar sites before I finally did one at an unfamiliar site. And my solo dives were truly solo dives, not dives in which I ventured off from a group. Same with my solo cave diving. Did a bunch at familiar locations before going and exploring new caves and new passages. When to do different activities solo is an individual thing not something anyone else can tell you when it's okay to do.

Back
Top Bottom