Diving Vancouver Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScottNY

Contributor
Reaction score
Howdy...

I'm looking for some local Vancouver dive info please. Sometime in June, I'll be visiting friends in the area, (on Salt Spring Island.) I'll have a couple of days free and thinking of trying to get some diving in.

Can anyone give me some of following info?

* Local dive shops that run am or day trips within an hour or two drive time from Vancouver?

* What's the water temp at depth around mid-June?

* Anything else I should know about the area diving?

Thanks for any help!

Scott (from NY/USA)

The best diving is across the way in Nanaimo, about a 2 hour ferry ride from the terminal just south of Vancouver. The Saskatchewan and the Cape Breton, two artificial reefs sunk in the strait. The Sas is a destroyer (I think) that is teeming with life and very diver friendly.

Look up Ken at Diver's Choice, www.divingbccanada.com He's got a great boat, the ladder is a little bit difficult but was doable in doubles.

Water temps are going to be around 50, depths are in the 90-130 range for the two "big" wrecks.

Are you going to be diving off Saltspring or are you looking to dive more near Vancouver city (Howe Sound, Indian Arm) ?
I would suggest heading over to the Island to Nanimo or Victoria. Nanimo has a few epic wrecks and as long as u are trained for low vis (20-50ft), high current and drysuit you should have no problems. Victoria has some killer shore diving off of the breakeater @ Ogden Point. There are also many shore dive sites in Howe Sound, PM me for more info if you are interested.
I've had good experiances with a shop in town called International Diving Centre (diveicd.com)

ciao

Here are some websites that may give you some information for coastal BC diving.

http://www.coastalbc.com/dive/index.htm

shore diving: http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/Canada/index.htm

Ocean Explorer's in Nanaimo, a good summary on dive sites near Nanaimo: http://www.oceanexplorersdiving.com/dive_sites/index.htm

and International Diving Centre in Vancouver: http://www.diveidc.com/
I've had good experiences with them as well.

Saltspring island also has diving but as I haven't dove there yet I can't provide any information. Expect poor vis and cold water. The diving over here is great.

Cheers,
Bill

> as long as u are trained for low vis (20-50ft), high current and drysuit you should have no problems.

"Trained" as AOW and Rescue Diver. BUT I don't truly have the experience in spite of what the cards say. (And not dry suit trained yet.)

If possible, I'm looking for something where I could get away with a wetsuit. I'm ok with New Jersey USA shore in the low 60s. But don't want to go below 90' in any case.

I'll have to check out the dive shops you mentioned.

Thanks!
Scott

Hey Scott,
On my last dive, Monday this week, the surface temp was 51 and the temp at depth was a balmy 44, you could get away with a wetsuit but you would definetly be a part of the minority around here. In a 7 mil farmer john you will probably be comfortable for a max of about 25 min (of course this depends on how much "Built In" insulation you have).

For most of us up here in the "great white north" drysuit is not really an option, if you enjoy diving as much as we do then the cost of a drysuit and the correct training is outweighed by the comfort and warmth it provides. The drysuit training consists of a pool session and then 2 OW dives which can be scheduled to fit your schedule. Email info@diveidc.com and see what they can do for you if you are interested in some local diving or drysuit training. You may find that even back home in 60's water temps that a drysuit will also be an effective thermal protector.

I read in a few posts above about being trained for low vis ..??? -20-50' what's up with that? If I had to be trained for low vis of 20-50' we'd have to travel to much clearer water than our 2'-20' of vis conditions. Some different rules in B.C. that I'm not aware of?
I free dove north of vancouver.. ansel point, a quick drop just off the shore, and I mean DEEP drop. I was very impressed with the sea life and color there even. Check out Rowand's Reef Scuba Shop at Granville Island, maybe you'll get to meet Mandy Rae, holder of several women's world records in freediving. They can help line something up for you too. BTW, Vancouver=freediving capitol of the world, maybe you want to give that a go.
If you meet Mandy, don't get in a breath holding contest with her, I think she's over 6 minutes now. And don't get in a freediving contest with her either, I think she's around 230' swimming down and back up (no sled or balloon).

Actually, Mandy Rae hasn't worked at Rowand's Reef for about 2 years I think it is. She is working for PADI Canada now.

-helmet

holdingmybreath:
I read in a few posts above about being trained for low vis ..??? -20-50' what's up with that? If I had to be trained for low vis of 20-50' we'd have to travel to much clearer water than our 2'-20' of vis conditions. Some different rules in B.C. that I'm not aware of?
I free dove north of vancouver.. ansel point, a quick drop just off the shore, and I mean DEEP drop. I was very impressed with the sea life and color there even. Check out Rowand's Reef Scuba Shop at Granville Island, maybe you'll get to meet Mandy Rae, holder of several women's world records in freediving. They can help line something up for you too. BTW, Vancouver=freediving capitol of the world, maybe you want to give that a go.
If you meet Mandy, don't get in a breath holding contest with her, I think she's over 6 minutes now. And don't get in a freediving contest with her either, I think she's around 230' swimming down and back up (no sled or balloon).

Hey Scott, go to Hornby Island for the Sixgill sharks, wolf eels and amazing life and color. Or to Nanaimo (wrecks,great shore dives) OR Victoria for great shore dives and Nightlife! A 6.5 or 7mm wetsuit will be fine (this from a drysuit diver) any dive shop will hook you up. If Vancouver is a must Ocean Explorers or Rowand's reef are good. Enjoy the best diving in North America!

Hey Scott,
decompression is right about hornby but june is a little early for 6 gill. Most sightings I know of occur july and august. Remember hornby is a good dive even if you don't see sharks. Alot of divers forget to look at the walls there because they are watching the gloom for large shadows. ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom