Diving vs. Posting About Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What are you talking about? Every time I post something I make an entry in my logbook.

I'm very jealous of the folks that have descent to nice diving virtually in their back yard. I'd dive everyday if I did. Back when I paddled is used to work near the Great Falls on the Potomac and I'd go paddle for a few hours after work waiting for traffic to clear up and that was awesome. I dive whenever I get a chance. I volunteer at the Aquarium here in Baltimore so that has been affording me plenty of opportunities to 'dive', albeit cleaning tanks and feeding fish:) I'll take it though. We have our local quarries, but the closest is 45 minutes away and the nicest is 3.5 hours. I finally have a dry suit so hopefully I'll finally be warmer. For living in Baltimore City 10-15 dives a month now for over a year. I'm pretty psyched about that. I just wish I lived someplace that had better diving and less virtual diving.

If virtual diving keep folks connected to actual diving, I'm all for it.

Does anyone else feel a little sheepish about being in here talking about diving when we could be out there actually diving?

Personally, I've been chained by work -- and I love the conversations -- but I still feel a little like a :dork2: when I am typing instead of blowing bubbles.

Sheepish?

Not at all.

If you can't get out there and dive, then you might as well talk (or post) about it.

Up here in the Northeast, the dive season is going to start soon and I'm already booked on my first trip in May.

I've got a tropical destination vacation planned for June, and that's all I can do at the moment.

Nothing to feel bad about.

A dry suit can really help extend your dive season in fact up here in Canada I have no season dive all year round, if ice on surface out come the chain saws, yep a dry suit really helps to ease my withdrawal symptoms :D

Does your employer know of this? :wink:

Actually, yes. The work I do is driven by deadlines (I write manuals for a living). I always make my deadlines, and therefore my boss doesn't much care. I deliver the services I'm paid to deliver ...

... Bob (Grateful DIver)

I don't think the OP meant to imply this, but are there actually SB'ers who feel that participants in these threads need to "earn" the right to participate and contribute ideas by having "enough" dives, years of experience, or training? I sure hope not, because I doubt if I'd ever be able to "measure up" to those kinds of expectations, yet I certainly enjoy participating in the exchanges here. Granted, I try to make sure anything I post reflects only my opinion or are the results of whatever limited experience I might have. I strive not to project any kind of "machoism" and I certainly hope my posts don't come across that way. This is a great place to learn and even laugh, and I would hate to see any efforts made to curb that kind of free exhange, even from the inexperienced (such as me).

Everyone's got something to contribute. Some are better than others ... and of course, "better" is truly in the eye of the beholder. I'm one of those who doesn't much care for the "50-dive experts" who jump in and "correct" people with hundreds or thousands of dives more than them when they don't really know much except what their instructor or LDS owner has told them. On the other hand, there are some new divers who come in here and offer both insightful observations and excellent questions that serve as a basis for some really interesting conversation. I appreciate those folks quite a lot. The quality of what someone contributes to the board almost always has more to do with their attitude than their experience level.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yeah, sometimes I think if I posted less I would have more time to dive. When I drop down into the water sometimes I think, wow this is so much more fun than cyber diving.

With diving a 2 hour drive away, I'm fortunate to dive plenty but it's fun to hang out online with my sb scuba friends.

I have learned so much on sb, which has greatly enhanced diving ;-). It would be selfish to take all this information and run.

Certainly real diving is much better than cyber diving but I think it's better to hang around and give back to new divers & continue to learn from all those who have so much more experience than myself ;-).

Yeah, sometimes I think if I posted less I would have more time to dive. When I drop down into the water sometimes I think, wow this is so much more fun than cyber diving.

With diving a 2 hour drive away, I'm fortunate to dive plenty but it's fun to hang out online with my sb scuba friends.

I have learned so much on sb, which has greatly enhanced diving ;-). It would be selfish to take all this information and run. Certainly real diving is better than cyber diving but I think it's better to hang around and give back to new divers & continue to learn from all those who have so much more experience than myself ;-).

... but sometimes cyber diving leads to real diving. One of the biggest benefits to a place like ScubaBoard is getting to dive with people I'd otherwise never have met.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NOt even a little bit close by the ice is still nice and thick on the lakes, the ocean is 12hr away, and well the four year old at home keeps that from happening even if I wanted to make the trip. Posting (if rarely) keeps me interested and as some one new to diving I feel like there is a fair bit that can be learned from just reading, my diving skills may be no better from reading here but my knowledge sure has increased so it isn't wasted time to me.

Ben

Does anyone else feel a little sheepish about being in here talking about diving when we could be out there actually diving?

Personally, I've been chained by work -- and I love the conversations -- but I still feel a little like a :dork2: when I am typing instead of blowing bubbles.
Then you are living in the wrong spot. I'm in the water 4 or 5 days a week, mostly freediving now that I've found a spot that I can consistently have Hawaiian Spinners and Humpbacks (at least this time of year) for company, not to mention a large tiger shark and some pelagics (we saw a blue marlin on Sunday!).:D

Back
Top Bottom