Diving wet in Vancouver in November?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anchochile

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'll be in Vancouver for work in mid-November and am curious whether it would be nuts or not-nuts to fit in a dive or two.

I'm a new-ish diver, and have been happily diving wet in Monterey with my 7mm semi-dry + 5mm shorty oversuit in temps of 10-13C. I'm not drysuit-trained.

So my questions are:
  1. Is there beginner-friendly diving that's worth doing in mid-November, and how far from the city would I need to venture?
  2. What are water temperatures likely to be, and would I be crazy to dive wet?
Thanks!

A few years ago I dove wet for a couple days in Wycliff Park and Porteau Cove up the fiord. Fun shore dives. Don't think the water was much warmer even though it was summer. Water was 48. I dove a hooded 14/10. Did not know they even made them but my rent a guide arranged for me to rent them. Was very comfortable. Max depth at Wycliff was 71 fsw and at Proteau 51 fsw.

Depending on your cold tolerance it should be OK. I've dived in Powell River in February in a 7mm FJ and it was tolerable over several days of 2 dives/day. Don't go to a second dive site in a Zodiac though...

First dive will be tolerable. Second dive not so much. Whytecliff and Porteau are two good shore dives. The ferry to Nanaimo will take you within walking distance of some good wreck diving if that is what you want.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom