Diving when stormy in Ambergris Caye?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bernhelm

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
(long lurker, finally joined ScubaBoard!)

My wife and I are going to Ambergris Caye next week and I'm super concerned that with 80% chance of thunderstorms almost every day in the forecast that we won't get to dive.

I know weather is super tempermental there and can vary and change quickly, but I'd love to hear from you on the island or with a lot of experience, do the dive outfits tend to keep the boats in during weather like next week? How likely are dives to happen the 5th-10th? Am I out of luck before the trip even starts?

Q8na1Dn.jpg

I'd love to set my expectations to an appropriate level - even if it means expecting to drink and eat fry jacks at a bar instead of diving for a few days, I'd rather be mentally prepared for it :D

First, I wouldn't be paying too much attention to the weather report unless a known storm is on the way.
They'll dive in the rain. It's when the wind kicks up the seas is when the boats huddle in.

Think positive. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst, as they say.

(long lurker, finally joined ScubaBoard!)

My wife and I are going to Ambergris Caye next week and I'm super concerned that with 80% chance of thunderstorms almost every day in the forecast that we won't get to dive.

I know weather is super tempermental there and can vary and change quickly, but I'd love to hear from you on the island or with a lot of experience, do the dive outfits tend to keep the boats in during weather like next week? How likely are dives to happen the 5th-10th? Am I out of luck before the trip even starts?

View attachment 461926

I'd love to set my expectations to an appropriate level - even if it means expecting to drink and eat fry jacks at a bar instead of diving for a few days, I'd rather be mentally prepared for it :D

Worst that could happen is that you might get wet. I hate getting wet while diving! :)

I've been going to Belize in June for years. In my experience, the thunderstorms are almost always at night. They can be spectacular and even a little bit scary. There have been nights where I thought there was no way we were going out the next day. But most of the time, it stops raining early in the morning, the sun is out and by 9 o'clock you can't even tell it rained the night before. And out we go.

Like Chilly said, the wind is a much bigger factor. Too much wind and the ocean kicks up, making it too rough to go out. There have been some nice, sunny days when the trip was cancelled due to wind.

In the end, it's a bit of a crapshoot weather-wise but the odds are in your favor.

Welcome to SB, btw. Be sure to file a trip report when you return. You're going to have a blast!

Last edited:
We were just on Ambergris the first of May, and the forecast looked the same. Here's our Trip Report, notice no mention of rain.

For me, there are two significant factors: First, it is the tropics and you are entering a season of unpredictable weather; and Second, you will be on vacation (what's the weather going to be like back home?).

Enjoy yourself!

Thanks for the encouragement, everybody!

I'll hope for the best and keep our schedule loose so we can take advantage of any clear days, but be prepared to be landlocked some days too :D

We're spending 5 days on Ambergris and then 5 days on Roatan and I'll be sure to post a trip report when we get back. Hopefully with some decent photos (just got my first strobe!)

As Downing so rightfully shared, at this time of year, almost all the storms come at night...and yes, most are quite a spectacular show!

I was just out yesterday, off the San Pedro coast and the only thing I noticed different was a reduced visibility, from increased wind/surf action, from a normal 100+ feet, to about 45-50', which is more than needed to check all the incredible sights you are in for!

Safe travels, enjoy your time and HAPPY DIVING!!!

I was just out yesterday, off the San Pedro coast and the only thing I noticed different was a reduced visibility, from increased wind/surf action, from a normal 100+ feet, to about 45-50', which is more than needed to check all the incredible sights you are in for!

Safe travels, enjoy your time and HAPPY DIVING!!!

Awesome to hear and thanks! 40ft vis and 80+ degree water sounds great to me any day :D (This year has been all cold water 5-30ft vis for me so far!)

If your dives are canceled, You can always go to Elvi's and just eat everything on the menu. Start with the Mayan Fish and go from there....drink a Belikin for me!

Jay

Because we are in the island the storm pass quickly, on the other hand the mainland is where we get much of the storms. The winds is what will stop us crom diving.

Back
Top Bottom