Diving while trying to get pregnant?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tomsuelaw

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I know there is enough info out there to suggest that I should not dive pregnant, but what about diving while you are trying to get pregnant? My husband and I are currently recovering from a miscarriage (not diving related) and we are planning a dive trip next month (in Novemeber). We really only have an opportunity to dive once a year while on vaca so this trip means alot to us. We are planning to start trying again in few weeks when my menstral cycle resumes. We will most likely be trying (if not be few weeks prego) by the time we go on our trip. Now, obviously, if I know I am pregnant when we get there, I will not dive. I plan to bring a couple tests with me when we are there and take one each morning before I dive (assuming I am not on my period). However, depending on how my cycle falls while we are there, I could be prego but not testing positive yet. So, I am not sure what to do. Are there any women out there who have unknowingly dove in the first few weeks of pregnancy? This must occur fairly often. Anyone have any input, suggestions, or an experience to share?

The literature on diving and pregnancy is, as you might imagine, not extensive and some of it is conflicting. There is at least one study showing an increase in birth defects in women who dove during pregnancy. Most teratogens (things that cause birth defects) are most dangerous during the first trimester (which makes a lot of sense, as that's the time when a small alteration in process can go on to have the biggest effects).

I would ask what your hurry to get pregnant again is, and suggest that you consider birth control until the end of your trip, and then start trying to get pregnant again.

The literature on diving and pregnancy is, as you might imagine, not extensive and some of it is conflicting. There is at least one study showing an increase in birth defects in women who dove during pregnancy. Most teratogens (things that cause birth defects) are most dangerous during the first trimester (which makes a lot of sense, as that's the time when a small alteration in process can go on to have the biggest effects).

I would ask what your hurry to get pregnant again is, and suggest that you consider birth control until the end of your trip, and then start trying to get pregnant again.

Hmm, the "rush to get pregnant again", I wouldn't call a rush, we are happy for it to happen in God's good time, however, beyond that it is a personal reason related to past medical history and a sincere desire of the heart. The bottome line: I would rather be pregnant then dive, but if I am not pregnant, the diving is my consolation prize. If you have ever struggled with the desire for a baby perhaps you understand and if you have not experienced that then I suggest you not be quick to judge.

Yes I am aware of the developmental risks of Teratogens in the first trimester. My question more relates to the first 2 weeks after conception while the fertalized egg is not yet attached to the unterine wall. There is no cross membranal transfer between me and the zygote at this time, therefore, I am not seeing a link between my diving and the pregnancy. Perhaps, I am misunderstanding the concern or perhaps, there isn't enough science or studies to distinguish a concern. If the concern is Nitrogen build up in the baby, then in theory, the baby should not be at risk during the time I am refering too. Again, if the sac is attached to the uterine wall and recieving any kind of nutrients from me then I would surely have enough HcG in my urine to test "+". So, again, perhaps I have the wrong concern, perhaps there are additional risks r/t diving that I am not aware of.

Why hasn't DAN done any retrospective research on this? There has to be hundreds of women who have dove unknowingly while early on in pregnancy. A retrospective study, although perhaps not 100% reliable (while no study is), would at least provide some insight and would not unethical. DO you know of any such studies?

I'm sorry for your loss with the recent miscarriage and best of luck with your future pregnancy.

Dr. Maida Taylor has done this most research on this subject and here is a quote from her:

______

"The same woman who will not drink coffee or smoke during her pregnancy will want to know why she should not dive. In this litiginous society there is only one answer "no diving while pregnant or even trying to conceive".(Dr. Maida Taylor). No major studies prove it unsafe but the hazards are there.

Presently, every HBO treatment chamber does not allow female personnel who are pregnant to act as tenders. Since diving is an entirely elective activity for 99% of all women divers, the obvious choice would seem to be not to dive. If one has been inadvertently diving while early in her gestation, there is no good data which would justify an abortion.
____

However, your insight is quite good in that early in pregnancy (first 2 weeks) there is no maternal-placental blood circulation so, theoretically, there should not be a problem with bubbles.

Here is a link for you:
Diving and Pregnancy

All of that having been said, however, I agree with Lynne (TSandM) above. She is not being judgemental about your "rush to get pregnant". You mention that you only dive once per year and it will be in November. Given the unknowns regarding diving and pregnancy, even early in pregnancy, I don't see the harm in delaying your attempts to get pregnant from October to after your November dive vacation. If in your heart you really want to try to get pregnant as soon as possible, the prudent thing would be not to dive.

Just my 2 cents as a cardiologist, not an obstetrician.

Debersole, thank you for you kind words and medical opinion. My husband and I will surely think this through. We still have sometime to decide. I really do wish to start trying and value pregnancy more then diving. I think I will see how my cycle is going to fall, there is a good chance I may be mestrating while I am there, if that is the case, I will dive. I believe the only risk I will face is the last 2 weeks of my cycle where I cannot know for sure. If my trip falls during that time I will not dive. I am an RN, my husband is a Nurse Practicioner, and I am definately one of those women who are "in tune with thier bodies". I know it sounds cheesy but I can usually tell when I ovulate. In addition, my cycles, in the past, have been normal. Part of me really wants to dive, while the other part of me hopes I won't get the chance to dive :wink: Maybe I can find a dive company who will let me snorkel while my hubby dives :)

Oh and TSandM, I wasn't trying to accuse you of judging, I didn't for sure get that impression from you. It is just that when it comes to these issues there are 2 kinds of people out there, people who understand, and people who don't. I don't know where you fall, that is why I said that.

While I will not comment on the medical aspects of diving and babby making, I would point out that if you do a lot of diving, you and your partner may just be too tired to effect propper transfer:eyebrow:.

In other words, one or both may be "To pooped to Pop."

However, your insight is quite good in that early in pregnancy (first 2 weeks) there is no maternal-placental blood circulation so, theoretically, there should not be a problem with bubbles.

Speaking as someone with no medical background (other than first aid), I'm wondering about how microbubbles could affect a newly developing foetus (if you subscribe to one of the bubble models of decompression theory that bubbles are always present, only most of the time they're very small.) A layperson might wonder if a small pile of developing cells might be more susceptible if an errant bubble should come along, although with no maternal blood circulation, this might be unlikely in what is effectively a slow compartment. In other words, impact=large but probability=low.

Can any medical types possibly offer any additional insights?

The study of silent bubbles on unborn foetus is exceptionally limited due to a lack of test subjects. The problem with an unborn child is that their Patent Foramen Ovale (PFO) has not yet sealed over, therefore any bubbles from incoming circulation are not filtered by the lungs as they automatically pass between the sides of the heart. Hang on... I'll find a quote...

"In the fetus, most of the blood bypasses the lungs through the foramen ovale or the ductus arteriosus, channels which normally close when the baby is born and the lungs start functioning. In the fetus, without filtration in the lungs, bubbles that form for any reason whatsoever can circulate freely and may lodge in some vital organ such as the brain or heart muscle. In some adult humans, the foramen or the ductus has failed to close normally; and these individuals are at unusual risk much like thc fetus, from bubbles that form following a dive." -- Edward H. Lanphier, M.D., Senior Scientist, Emeritus, Dept of Preventive Medicine, University of Wisconsin, Madison, 1994

There. I hope that answers your question. As to whether a foetus is a fast/slow tissue, that's a little heavy for me to think about :)

Last edited:
Oh and TSandM, I wasn't trying to accuse you of judging, I didn't for sure get that impression from you. It is just that when it comes to these issues there are 2 kinds of people out there, people who understand, and people who don't. I don't know where you fall, that is why I said that.

I can reassure you that TSandM belongs to an understanding group, as she even doesn't know what being mean means.
Try to trust her and you will find out she is always wishing well to everybody.

Here's a thought... why not just have one last blow-out before getting pregnant because after that it may be a very, very long time before you get to dive again. Also, going on a relaxing vacation and de-stressing may have the added benefit of allowing your body and mind to be more receptive to fertilization.
I'm not a doctor, just a mom who doesn't get to dive nearly as often as I'd like.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom